Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've searched, read, now I ask Fuel Gauge help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've searched, read, now I ask Fuel Gauge help!!

Here's my story. I bought a 81 GS550LX 6.08 Everything is stock except the Muffler pipes. But this isn't a carb question. I fixed the jetting issue by going back to a stock airbox and filter. The bike runs great. Anyway I only have one small issue. I can only go about 70 miles before my gauge reads empty I know don't trust a 27 year old fuel gauge. But not 2 minutes later my bike starts to sputter and spit and I'm dead. So I call a buddy and have him bring me some gas. I can only get in about 1.5 Gal and I"m confused because I can still see alot of Gas in the tank. This is the first day I try to commute on my new toy. 2 months later the problems the same. I'm averaging about 45 miles per gallon but I'd like to take a trip that doesn't include meeting every gas station attendent from here to the coast. My first thought was pull it out and manually bend the float down more? The guy I bought it from was fairly mechanical but as I learn more and work on it I find some less than perfect work. I did notice the half moon cover with the connector for a hose is sitting "naked" not connected to any thing.I've been lurcking around the site now I need help. Remember I'm a newbie. I downloaded the factory manual(thanks by the way) and have a Clymer guide.

So if I'm getting this right you run out of gas after using only about 1.5 gallons with a full tank of gas and when the bike dies there is still gas in the tank? If I'm reading this right it sounds like the screen that extends into the tank from the petcock is clogged at a certain level not allowing the tank to drain. The float must be off as well to show empty when you still have fuel. Pull the petcock off the tank and check the screen.

Comment

Done

Yes you are correct. That was the first thing I took apart the day I got this bike and sign onto GSR. I had my "consultant" (really he's not a mechanic, I didn't pay him!) take a look as well and it's spotless.

Comment

"L" models don't have an overly large tank, reserve is probably 1 gallon. switch to reserve next time. If you have that petcock that needs a screwdriver--- replace it

Comment

Keep in mind that few motorcycle fuel gauges are accurate. However, they are usually consistant. For example, the gauge on my Wing goes well over the F mark when I fill it. I have gone as many as 60 miles before the needle was sitting squarely on the F. At the other end of the scale, there will be about one full needle-width of space between the needle and the E mark before the 'low fuel' light comes on (I don't have an actual RES position, just the light). If I stop for gas just a few miles after the light comes on, it is very consistant at taking 5.1 gallons (it's a 6.4 gallon tank). Trip odometer reading when the light comes on depends on how I have been riding, but that's not the point here.

Your 550L has a small tank, but I would think that there would be more than 1.5 gallons in the main section, I would suspect it should be closer to 2.5 gallons. Then there should be about another gallon in the RES portion. Are you saying that you run out of gas even after switching the petcock to RES? I would remove the petcock to make sure you have the correct tube on the inside of the tank. If the tube is too long, you will need to switch to RES before getting to the usual amount of one gallon left.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

fill it up

mark the mileage on a piece of tape or use the trip o meter

get a little can of fuel bungeed on the back

ride until you run out of gas in the "ON" position AND then follow up in "RES"

mark and remember the amount of miles - FOREVER - as long as you have this bike. it is the only way to really know. (if you ride hard the range will be less)

forget the fuel meter they lie to you brother.
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Keep in mind that few motorcycle fuel gauges are accurate. However, they are usually consistant.
              I've had a few cars like this too. I started referring to them as "fuel confidence gauges" - as in, they reflect the chance you'll make it to the next filling station without running out.

Comment

Do you have an in-line fuel filter on the bike? If you do, and it is an automotive filter, it might not allow fuel to flow as it gets lower.

Also, when you opened the fuel tank, did you hear any suction? Sometimes the breather gets blocked and sill stop fuel flow as well.

Comment

Get a new petcock or make sure your fuel line isn't kinked or collapsing.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

New petcock and filter

I do have an inline filter on it. I got it at the cycle works. I guess I just assumed it was for motorcycles. I'll try removing it and see if this makes a difference.
                    I see alot of diff. in $ anyone got a good link to get one shipped.

Comment

If you're going to buy a new petcock do yourself a favor and check out Pingel. You can buy directly from them. They are strictly gravity feed with no vacuum necessary. http://www.pingelonline.com/fuel_valves.htm

They cost a little more but you won't be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                        If you're going to buy a new petcock do yourself a favor and check out Pingel. You can buy directly from them. They are strictly gravity feed with no vacuum necessary. http://www.pingelonline.com/fuel_valves.htm

They cost a little more but you won't be sorry.
                        Man Billy, You need to get your butt to Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dokota and Washington to complete the map. You've been everywhere man!
                        I run a Pingel. My stock petcock couldn't keep up.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Man Billy, You need to get your butt to Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dokota and Washington to complete the map. You've been everywhere man!
                          I run a Pingel. My stock petcock couldn't keep up.
                          We may get up to N. Dakota next year for a job. If we do I'll knock those three states out at the same time. I've wanted to see both Wisconsin and Minnesota for a long time. One of these years my wife and I plan on taking an Alaska trip so I can get to Washington state. After that all that will be left is Hawaii. I've been to 4 European countries too. We'll be heading back there in about a year and we plan on seeing Italy and Germany. First stop will be Amsterdam though and maybe into some of the Scandanavian countries.

Comment

mtn stream,

You've got an interesting issue there.

Most suggestions seem to be in the direction of the fuel filter and petcock. While those would possibly be involved in the issue of fuel delivery, they ignore the issue of the fuel gauge reading falsely low. While a gauge may not be accurate, I find it more than coincidental that you get a "false" empty AND actually lose fuel delivery to the system while having plenty of fuel in the tank.

I don't know where to point you on this, but I would suggest that you do further troubleshooting before you start spending $$$ that may not address the issue if the partial diagonsis is incorrect.

Some guesses:
                            1) Perhaps the fuel gauge is out of adjustment AND there is a seperate fuel delivery issue that just happen to "sync" up symptom-wise.
                            2) Is the tank modified in some way? Is it possible that there is an internal division in the tank that somehow creates a reservoir that holds gas that's visible via the fill hole while leaving the surrounding space (where the petcock and fuel gauge float are) dry? Bizarre idea, but so is the issue.

I'll be very curious to know the resolution on these issues.

Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X