Cam Chain Guide instalation. AHHH!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Guide instalation. AHHH!!!!!!

I have been working on a 81 GS750L 16valve and am having trouble installing the cam chain guide and the cam chain has no slack. The pistons are at the desired position with 1 and 4 at TDC. Have any of you encountered a simliar problem? If so, what do you reccomend I do? Do you see any other potential problems? Thank you for you help in advance.

Are you referring to the cam chain tensioner or the guide?
    If it's the tensioner your cam chain is bound and you need to rotate the engine a bit counterclockwise to free it. After you get the tensioner in recheck timing.
    If it's the front guide it needs put in before the cams.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I hope

I am having trouble placing the front Cam chain guide. AND the cam chain will not give, I barely have enough slack to pull it over the front Exhaust cam (without the front cam chain guide in place)

Thanks CHEF.

Comment

Is the tensioner on or off the cylinder block?

Comment

cam chain

tensioner is off at this time

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs750L View Post
            tensioner is off at this time
            You should have plenty of slack then. The exhaust cam is going to be in your way trying to get the guide in.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2008, 10:39 PM.

Comment

What have you replaced in this engine? As in, do you have the correct cam chain & cam sprockets? If so, then, you are doing something wrong. Ray.

Comment

original

only took it apart to change gaskets. I did buy a new 630 chain and shocks, everything else has been untuoched.

Comment

Chain is bound. Move the crank back and forth and pull up on the chain. Do this with the cams out.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Chef

Comment

Working...
                    X