How do you unlock steering???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you unlock steering???

I was just playing with my steering column and locked it. Idiot me, i can't unlock it. Any answers??? 1979 GS850.
    1979 GS850G
    2004 SV650N track bike
    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

push in on the left hand bar and turn the key back to the "on" position. sometimes they stick a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
      push in on the left hand bar and turn the key back to the "on" position. sometimes they stick a bit.
      That should do it.

Yours may have its own peculiarity, though.

My "G" locks easily, but if I do not push the key down while turning it, it will never unlock.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Have you ever had difficulty turning the ignition key in your car?

Do you remember having to wiggle the steering wheel to be able to turn the key?

Try the same thing, the handlebars might be in a bind, locking the key into place.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't know when the last time it was locked but the small wedge that pops out from the stem when you either put it in park or locked position was stuck in the out position. I'm working on lubricating it to see if that makes a difference. I used my finger to push the wedge back into the stem. I did turn the bars some while turning the key but i think the really trick was to push in on the wedge. That's how i seemed to have fixed it. Thanks for the suggestions.
          1979 GS850G
          2004 SV650N track bike
          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Working...
          X