tach cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tach cable

Hi all, gotta question on tach cable, the end that connects to the engine has come apart. It appears that this cable end is fit over the wire and is compressed onto it. In my case, I believe it has simply worked loose. Does anyone know if I crimp this end back onto wire will it work? If not a crimp, would epoxy hold? Not a major problem, I already pulled one from the parts bike but would like to try before trashcanning it.

It figures this cable would go, I had to replace clutch cable two weeks ago and have replaced speedometer and throttle as well in spring. Just seems like it is always something.

Mine did that, and I just crimped it back with a pair of butt-connector crimpers. Has held for 2 years + so far.

Comment

I've done the same. It held till my new one came in the mail.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post

It figures this cable would go, I had to replace clutch cable two weeks ago and have replaced speedometer and throttle as well in spring. Just seems like it is always something.
        Lubrication works well.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Lubrication works well.
          And not just with solo entertainment!
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
            Hi all, gotta question on tach cable, the end that connects to the engine has come apart. It appears that this cable end is fit over the wire and is compressed onto it. In my case, I believe it has simply worked loose. Does anyone know if I crimp this end back onto wire will it work? If not a crimp, would epoxy hold? Not a major problem, I already pulled one from the parts bike but would like to try before trashcanning it.

My tach quit yesterday evening and the problem turned out to be the same thing. I crimped the end piece back on to the cable with some vice-grips and it held very well. Simple and easy fix; the tach worked normally for the 50 or so miles I put on it this morning.
            1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Working...
            X