Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83GS550E Sprocket Size For Increased Speed/Lower RPM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
    so what is your average consumtion
    unfaired twin gets 50 mpg to an imperial gallon at moderate speeds below 60 MPH
    drops off if you are revving high but 70 mph in top gear will net just over 100 miles on 2.5 gallons

as for the jets us specs were lean my cnadian carbs have the same jets as you.
    Got an e-mail from Rob at z1 enterprises and it is recomended to replace the rear sprocket if you go more than one tooth higher on the front. Is this really needed? thanks.
    Also the highest number they have for my bike is 17T which is great, just gotta see what is best to do replace teh one or both, any thoughts?

I will top off the tank again and start from scratch with mpg testing.
    And see what i come up with.

I filled up the tank rode the bike a couple of times before i replaced the speedo cable. Miles traveled shows 27.

The speedo may be incorrect being off by 10 miles an hour slower than my actual speed.

Call me crazy but i counted the front sprocket teeth and got 14 teeth, so why is it i'm counting the rear sprocket teeth and get 112 teeth???????
    and the sprocket is stamped 48-530!

Gremlins?, aliens? LSD?????
    Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2008, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post
      Got an e-mail from Rob at z1 enterprises and it is recomended to replace the rear sprocket if you go more than one tooth higher on the front. Is this really needed? thanks.
      Also the highest number they have for my bike is 17T which is great, just gotta see what is best to do replace teh one or both, any thoughts?

I will top off the tank again and start from scratch with mpg testing.
      And see what i come up with.

I filled up the tank rode the bike a couple of times before i replaced the speedo cable. Miles traveled shows 27.

The speedo may be incorrect being off by 10 miles an hour slower than my actual speed.

Call me crazy but i counted the front sprocket teeth and got 14 teeth, so why is it i'm counting the rear sprocket teeth and get 112 teeth???????
      and the sprocket is stamped 48-530!

Gremlins?, aliens? LSD?????

LOL!!! Yeah, well, something isn't adding up somewhere. Maybe post a pick and let TheGSR have a crack at the count? I'm really curious where the disconnect is.

PS: Re gas mileage: I believe you said that you let the bike warm up for 10-15 minutes before riding. I'm thinking that could be part of your gas mileage issues. Even at idle, 10-15 minutes may be significant. In only four rides, that's 40-60 minutes of 0 mpg.

Comment

You were counting the links in the chain.

Comment

Do you have a GPS to check your speedo?

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
            You were counting the links in the chain.
            EVERYONE IS RIGHT I WAS COUNTING LINKS !!!!!!!! sorry about that, i put the paint mark on the link not the tooth.

Yes i will gladly accept the promotion to driver of the shortbus!!!
            Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2008, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Colt View Post
              Do you have a GPS to check your speedo?
              Yes i do, i should have thought of that !! ha ha gotta love this site!

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
                LOL!!! Yeah, well, something isn't adding up somewhere. Maybe post a pick and let TheGSR have a crack at the count? I'm really curious where the disconnect is.

PS: Re gas mileage: I believe you said that you let the bike warm up for 10-15 minutes before riding. I'm thinking that could be part of your gas mileage issues. Even at idle, 10-15 minutes may be significant. In only four rides, that's 40-60 minutes of 0 mpg.
                This is what i thought also i did warm it up three times in one day, making short trips stopping then starting again etc. So this is the answer to the riddle. I'll try it again once i get the stator cover on had to order a new gasket.

I know it sounds like i'm beating a dead horse but i just don't want to waste anyone's time who have been so helpful so far, and since it's weird that i'm counting almost double the amount of teeth i know i must be doing something wrong.

So thanks for the ideas and advice i'm applying it all.
                Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2008, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I know it sounds like i'm beating a dead horse but i just don't want to waste anyone's time who have been so helpful so far, and since it's weird that i'm counting almost double the amount of teeth i know i must be doing something wrong.
                  How are you counting the teeth? A 112-tooth 530-chain sprocket would be bigger than your rear tire. There are 112 links in the stock chain. That means 112 teeth will go by every time the master link goes by, no matter how many teeth there are on the sprocket.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
                    How are you counting the teeth? A 112-tooth 530-chain sprocket would be bigger than your rear tire. There are 112 links in the stock chain. That means 112 teeth will go by every time the master link goes by, no matter how many teeth there are on the sprocket.

Sorry everyone i apologize for the confusion it was my fault you were all right i was counting links. Just got tired of counting and did not realize i was indeed counting links not the teeth. I put the paint mark on the link not the tooth.

I appreciate all your help sincerely and your patience.
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2008, 07:57 PM.

Comment

My GS1100 '83 with stock gears spins 5,000 rpm's @ 80 mph; 55 mph is 3,500 rpm's both in fifth gear.
                      Go to following link and download the Gear calculator spreadsheet, just plug in your number and that's it, you'll have your answers.
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/files/GS1100%20Gearing%20calculator.xls

Comment

Originally posted by jacora View Post
                        My GS1100 '83 with stock gears spins 5,000 rpm's @ 80 mph; 55 mph is 3,500 rpm's both in fifth gear.
                        Go to following link and download the Gear calculator spreadsheet, just plug in your number and that's it, you'll have your answers.
                        http://www.thegsresources.com/files/...calculator.xls
                        Thanks, i did post a link to a calculator i used and the numbers i got to achieve the same results you have was 16/44 this would give me 84 mph @ 5520 RPM

What ratio is your bike stock ?

I know mine does not have the same torque though. So i may have to strike a balance.
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2008, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Sorry everyone i apologize for the confusion it was my fault you were all right i was counting links. Just got tired of counting and did not realize i was indeed counting links not the teeth. I put the paint mark on the link not the tooth.

I appreciate all your help sincerely and your patience.

LOL!!! OK, that makes sense out of it all.

Don't sweat it...you should've seem me trying to read my torque wrench a couple years ago. I totally confused foot lbs w/in lbs. Took a member pointing it out before I finally said "Doh!". Happens to the best of us.

Comment

Cool thank you so much for the answers.

I have one other question, i'm hearing a knocking sound at 3500 RPM

I don't hear the knocking on deceleration and i don't hear it from idle to 3500 RPM

Is this something to worry about? and what could it be?
                            You are lugging the engine, turning it too slowly to run well at that speed. You should be in third or fourth at 40mph. I keep the revs on the 750 around 3-4grand around town, but if I need to accellerate or it bogs I drop a gear to up the revs. I switched out the sprocket on the rear to a smaller sprocket since I do a lot of highway driving and it was too buzzy around 5000 at 120km/h now it turns around 4200 and is much better.

Comment

Thanks Melodic i do feel bad for having such a pronounced brain fart!!

According to what i can tell i would gain 7 to 13 mph by going up to a 17 front sprocket. Don't know what my rpm will be though.

So i will talk to Rob and see if i need to go with a rear sprocket as well.

Otherwise i will order the 16 and try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
                                You are lugging the engine, turning it too slowly to run well at that speed. You should be in third or fourth at 40mph. I keep the revs on the 750 around 3-4grand around town, but if I need to accellerate or it bogs I drop a gear to up the revs. I switched out the sprocket on the rear to a smaller sprocket since I do a lot of highway driving and it was too buzzy around 5000 at 120km/h now it turns around 4200 and is much better.
                                EUREKA !!!! Funny that you mention this because it is the same sound i heard when i was in my MSF class a year ago.

The instructor told us to shift to 2nd gear and the engine was lugging and all you could hear was a loud clunking sound just like a bent rod.

But in my case it happens when i get to 3500 rpm in 3rd gear, i think i did wind it out in 2nd a couple of times and still heard the same noise.

What size rear sprocket did you go down to?

I will try it again paying attention to my revs and see if it happens again

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X