Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83GS550E Sprocket Size For Increased Speed/Lower RPM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not certain as to what rpm's you are currently running at 65-70 mph. The following are gearing options compared to the 14/48 (stock for the 83 GS550E) set up on the bike. The gearing optins listed in red are where I recommend starting. You'll notice the RPM drop is close to 500 rpm's from what you are currently running. The 550 bore being relatively smaller compared to the big bore bikes you don't want to make a drastic change which will make it difficult to get the bike rolling from a stop. The 513 series front sprocket and 816 series rear sprocket are correct for your model.

Your order can be placed through our website for your convenience. If I can be further assistance contact me. Thank you for your inquiry, follow up information and choosing Z1 Enterprises.

Front Rear Chain Final Drive Ratio RPM Impact
    Existing 14 48 112 3.434 500

New 14 43 2.63 109 .43.07 4031
    New 15 47 -0.5 112 .53.13 4113
    New 15 45 0.53 111 .53.00 3938
    New 16 49 -2.6 114 .63.06 4020

Just wanted to post the reply i got from Rob. He was very very helpful and i thought his effort could help others here with small cc bikes find a good ratio for their bikes. Thanks again everyone i'll keep you posted.

I may just go with the 15/45 setup since it gets me safely into the rpm range i want.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2008, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Why not just put a 16 on the front and ride it? I did that when my bike was 3 days old, way back when they were new.
      Unless of coarse spending money is done for fun for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Colt View Post
        Why not just put a 16 on the front and ride it? I did that when my bike was 3 days old, way back when they were new.
        Unless of coarse spending money is done for fun for you.
        I was going to go with the just the 16 but i was concerned about bogging too much so i listed the specs Rob gave me so i could get this forums opinions.

Ironicly i came close with the other calculator i used. I was off by one tooth on each sprocket compared to his numbers.

I ordered the 16, to try it.

I noticed a lock washer that is bent towards the nut to lock it in place, is there a trick to getting out the nut with this washer on it?

Comment

Use a chisel or screw driver to fold the tab back. Might need to fold up a different area to lock the nut.

Comment

Off the top of my brain I don't exactly remember it was around 40 on the rear, I didn't change the front. 38-42 in there somewhere all I remember for sure is that it had 5 teeth less than what was on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Colt View Post
              Use a chisel or screw driver to fold the tab back. Might need to fold up a different area to lock the nut.
              Cool thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
                Off the top of my brain I don't exactly remember it was around 40 on the rear, I didn't change the front. 38-42 in there somewhere all I remember for sure is that it had 5 teeth less than what was on there.
                Ok that makes more sense to me now, i appreciate the help. I'm going to put the 16 and try it. Then update this thread.

Comment

I had updated this thread but somehow seems the info was lost.

The 16t is now in and i'm waiting for the stator cover gasket to try it.

The rear wheel is finally aligned perfectly.

Click on my signature for pics.

Comment

16T Update

Finally got the stator cover on.

Took bike out for a test ride.

At 4000 RPM i was doing 55 MPH, granted my speedometer may be off.

I'll test with the GPS to see how accurate the speed is as suggested earlier in this thread.

But i gained a 15 MPH increase in speed with the 16T at the 4000 RPM, before with the 14T front i was barely doing 40 MPH.

Also with the rear wheel aligned it is MUCH better leaning into corners, before it always felt like was going to break loose before it hunkered down into a turn. That squirely feeling is now GONE.

Love the mod, however i think i may have to go with the 44 rear sprocket just to get me into the 65 MPH i wanted, to cruise on the highway at 4000 RPM.

Starting off in first gear takes a little getting used to but it's not as detrimental as i thought it would be.

Feels great not to be passed by school buses anymore!

Thanks to everyone for your help and your patience in this thread i sincerely appreciate the advice.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2008, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Congrats on another step to completing the dream!!!

Comment

Thank you so much, took it out again today and it ran great.

Got it to almost 6000 RPM comfortably and really love how much better it runs now and the speed i'm at around town.

I think this set up is perfect for around town or short local road commutes, but on the highway it would still need more speed versus High RPM's unless you don't mind reving your bike to 8000 RPM. And you definetly need a windshield cause after 50mph on this bike it's all about wind buffeting wanting to dismount you really fast!

The clanking noise is still there from the engine but i posted another thread about the cam tensioner which others suggested as the possible cause for the noise i heard.

I'll probably have to rebuild it or replace it as it's leaking oil and I may not have put it in right originally. ( see separate thread on this )
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2008, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Update On Rear Sprocket Install

Wanted to update this thread,

After riding the bike with the 16T front sprocket i installed i'm able to cruise at 60mph at 4500 RPM. This is a huge improvement but the speed limits here on the highway is 65 to 70 MPH with big rigs running 80 easily.

So against other members valid advice considering the small displacement of my engine i wanted to get a 44T steel rear sprocket, it was not available at Z1 so i went with a 43T.

Insatllation was easy. Still got to take her out for a test ride, but had to wait due to an oil leak coming from the clutch rod seal. So after a late night it's all done, seal is in, tomorrow will tell how good it works.

One tip for those new to riding like me, if you adjust your throttle cable to open the throttle plates quicker you get more power earlier and can be in the RPM range you want when your wrist travel is maxed out.

No doubt i'll need to adjust mine again depending on how it launches with the shorter rear sprocket.

Comment

Hows the milage? My sons bike (gs550es) stock gets 52 mpg. at 70 mph. not sure what his rpm range was though. We checked his millage against my 1100 Lt and it was dead on as is my spedo. So if you were getting something allot less than that, your floats might be set too high and you shouldn't need to warm is up for more than 30-60 seconds before coming down off choke if you use it at all.
                            V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                              Hows the milage? My sons bike (gs550es) stock gets 52 mpg. at 70 mph. not sure what his rpm range was though. We checked his millage against my 1100 Lt and it was dead on as is my spedo. So if you were getting something allot less than that, your floats might be set too high and you shouldn't need to warm is up for more than 30-60 seconds before coming down off choke if you use it at all.
                              V
                              I do use the choke every time because it alows it to start right up. When it's summer i don't use it once the engine is warm. I did have to go slightly higher on the pilot jets to get it to idle well so this may play a part in gas consumption.

My mileage has gotten much better but it's more because i'm warming it up for less time, and of course the gearing does help a lot especially around town.

My rough estimate is that i'm getting about 125 miles to a full tank of gas, it has the 4.8 gallon tank. I still don't think this is great for a four cylinder but it's better than it was.

My floats are set to factory recomended setting though your suggestion makes sense.

I think my mileage problems were in part due to the gearing but really the amount of time wasted warming up and the engine reving too high to ride around town,

I did take the bike out today and WHAT A DIFFERENCE !! i am much happier now with it. I can easily cruise at 70 mph now at close to 4500 RPM granted it does have a slight lag where you stay on the throttle and the speed kind of creeps up on you between 65 and 70 MPH , but i can live with this.

Since my riding is more leisurely i prefer to keep the RPMS lower and cruise at a nice pace, the gearing calculator i used was right on the money!

This type of gearing is not for everyone but it suits me perfectly, launching from a stop is no different than with just the front 16T sprocket but it does go farther before i feel i have to shift which is also great.

If you like crusing more than canyon carving ( though through 5th gear you can still wind it out with good roll on performance ) and don't want to spend the big bucks on another crusier bike then this swap even on a small engine is worth all the time and effort.
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2009, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post

My rough estimate is that i'm getting about 125 miles to a full tank of gas, it has the 4.8 gallon tank. I still don't think this is great for a four cylinder but it's better than it was.
                                My truck gets better mileage, you should be going more than twice that far on the gas.

Something is wrong.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X