Performance parts for the GS550ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance parts for the GS550ES

While I am putting my 550ES together I would like to do some performance upgrades. What is available for this bike. I want to do suspension and some minor motor mods. For those who may have raced these back in the day what mods were done? no one makes a rear shock. I heard you can use a GSXR shock and get rid of the linkage but I don't see how that is a proper upgrade as the GSXR shock is also designed to use linkage. What other options do I have for a rear shock? Front springs are not an issue an I think I can find a set of cartridge emulators that will fit the stock forks. Any info will be appreciated.

thee si almost nothign available
    very linited numbers and a very short production run of 3 or 4 years

wiseco made a piston kit but yoou will likely never find one
    seems these were all flogged to death in a racing classifciation back in the day.

one of the guys here has a chock mod off a gsx600 i think for the reat that is

Comment

I have a GSXR shock in my '85 GS550ES. You use the linkage that you already have. Big improvement. The bike will sit an inch taller as well. I had just enough clearance to keep my centerstand, but skreemer didn't on his '83 GS550E.

4 into 1s show up on ebay every month or so and that's about all I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
        I have a GSXR shock in my '85 GS550ES. You use the linkage that you already have. Big improvement. The bike will sit an inch taller as well. I had just enough clearance to keep my centerstand, but skreemer didn't on his '83 GS550E.

4 into 1s show up on ebay every month or so and that's about all I've seen.

i heard you do not use the linkage when installing the GSXR shock. I really don't think raising the rear that much is a good thing. Didn't it make the bike real nervous and turn in real fast? I don't care if I lose the centerstand I have a race stand at home and a lift.

Comment

Originally posted by doug g View Post
          i heard you do not use the linkage when installing the GSXR shock. I really don't think raising the rear that much is a good thing. Didn't it make the bike real nervous and turn in real fast? I don't care if I lose the centerstand I have a race stand at home and a lift.
          I don't think it'd mount without the linkage. You just switch out the actual shock--the rest stays put. I've put 10k miles on the shock and the handling is good, certainly better than the 23 year old original shock. There are companies that will rebuild original shocks and modify them to suit. The cost was in the ballpark of $500. A used GSXR shock: about $20. You aren't out much if you want to find out for yourself.

Comment

rapidray sez he can get custom pistons what ever you want for around 625 a kit. Might want to talk to him.

I think web cams still makes a cam for your bike as well.
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

When I bought my 83 550 ES this was the hot bike, for about 6 months till the new GPZ550 arrived. In original setup these bike dragged everything under them. The worst part was the sidestand, it lifted the bike bad and early in a turn. I cut the sidestand off the frame real quick. Once that was done the exhaust was the major part that dragged but it did not unsettle the bike.

If the new shock raises the rear of the bike, do it. I always had the rear preload dialed to the max. The bike needs the linkage in the rear. You can make it adjustable if you choose.
              I swapped to a 750 Kat fork with the 17" wheel. Haven't ridden it yet. It was a direct swap. Not even the head bearings needed changing. I will be upgrading the damping in it first.

For the engine, give it a good port job and shave the head some. Web will cut cams for anything if you want them. Scrounge an exhaust when you find one. A bit of patience will be of value.

Comment

Well I guess I should be looking for a rear shock. Any particular year to look for?
                I was planning on dumping the centerstand but now I have to be concerned about the side stand. I will see if I can remove it and reattach it in a better area.

I did not do a compression check yet but if things are low I will pull the head and do some investigating. Maybe a set of cams and skim the head.

Comment

The newer the shock the better. They are triple adjustable now on the 1000s. Busas are stiffer but not as fancy.
                  A new stand bracket can be attached just aft of where the frame rail turns up. That tucks it in real nice.

Comment

So I will start searching for a 2000 and up GSXR rear shock.

Comment

I was running a gixxer shock on mine, but found it to be too stiff. I have begun to wonder whether or not the ebay shock I bought was bent somehow, though it didn't look it. I've also been toying with replacing my linkage arm with something that gives more leverage on the gixxer shock to add to the compression. So far I've struck out, but I may try to make my own. I've heard several people give reports of improved handling with the gixxer shock, and that's what makes me wonder why mine's so stiff.

You can also fit a GS700 aluminum swingarm to your bike. If you get one, also get the the link that goes up from the swinger to the 'rocker' arm, as they're different.

+1 on the later katana front end, too. Better brakes, 17" wheel, and better damping. You can also put a later model 17" rim in that stock swingarm.

Comment

Ditch the anti-dive? The anti-dive mechanism doesn't function very well from what I hear and removing it firms up the brake lever feel. I'm doing this mod on my 750ES - making some block off plates tonight as a matter of fact.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Mine dosn't have the anti dive it has the adjustable damping. I saw that the 700 arm fits and was toying with that idea but if I switch to the 17 inch rims I am concerned about ground clearance as I understand it is a problem already with stock sizes. How about early GSXR arm and wheels. like 1986-1988 1100 stuff. Anyone try that yet?

Comment

Modern Katana forks and wheels with a 83 era GS700/750 rear swinger. You'll apparently have to have the sprocket carrier milled down a bit to get things lined up in the chain and sprocket dept, but I just got done replacing a motor on a GS550 that had these mods, its an entirely different animal. Handles MUCH better, no ride hight loss to speak of, and I do believe you can get radial tires for it. I was asked by its owner of the possibility of a bore kit, and while you could have pistons made to do so, I really dont think there is much out there as far as "bolt on" in the way of motor upgrades. Pods, a pipe and jet kit will go about as far as you're prolly going to get on the motor without spending a TON of money. you might be able to find high lift cams and degreable sprockets for it, but i am not sure otherwise. My suggestion would be to make that thing as "flickable" as possible, and get really really good at charging turns...lol. With the above suspension mods, you'll generally keep up with MOST riders on UJMs much bigger than your own. At least in the corners anyway..

Comment

Get an 1100
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X