GS750 VIN question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 VIN question

I now have a GS750, nonrunning, no title, that was abandoned by a former rentor at a friends house. Since I fool with old bikes I ended up with it as a future project. I have alot of experiance working on GT550s, one daily rider, a second current project, but am new to the GS series. Right now I am looking for a chart of VIN numbers so I can determine the year, and am also looking for a repair manual, preferably on CD.

check the home page, mainly "in the garage". also, BikeCliff(BassCliff)'s website may have a manual for you to download.

Comment

Thanks Jed, looks like BikeCliff has a manual to download that will at least get me started.

Forgot to mention, the Vin decal on the triple tree is gone. The stamped Vin number does not have any letters after the 750 in it, and only 10 digits total, if that is a help in identifiying the year. Online VIN search engines only tell me I don't have enough digits entered for them to check it.

Also, it only has one front brake disk, from pictures only the 76 came that way, but others might have a better idea.

Kevin

Comment

Can you put up a picture of it for us ?

Comment

Here is another site that has helped a few of us in the past: Suzuki Frame Numbers.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This site also has some frame and engine vin#s from various years.

Comment

mriddle-Don't have one handy right now. Recently switched to a new computer, but have not transferred a lot of stuff off the old one. I'll see what I can get one on here in the next day or so.

Steve- jpg was to blurred for me to read. Problem may be on my end, see new computer comment above.

JTsGS650-That was a help, looks like a 1977B. Frame number is pre-78, no chrome trim on the seat, chrome lower steering stem cover.

However, the colors are listed as Red or Blue with black side covers. Mine is metallic green, with the same for the side covers.

Thanks for the help guys. Right now I am in the middle of a GT550 project, but this is the next bike waiting in the wings. It has seen some neglect/abuse from the P.O., but it was last licensed for the road in 98, and only has 8886 miles on the clock, so I figure it has potential. Since the begining price for it was $0.00, I figure it will only cost me umpteen dollars to get it back on the road, instead of umpteen+ dollars. :^)

Kevin

Comment

OK, now I am confused. First it is green, with what looks like factory paint, when they only came in red and blue with black sidecovers. Now, using the Alpha-Sports parts fiche for a 750B, the gauge cluster is not right. The one on this bike has no gear indicator. Key is at the bottom center, not off to the right of center. First light above it is a neutral indicator, next one up is highbeam indicator, next one up is a single light to indicate signal lights, and then a empty spot plugged with what looks like a factory insert. All of the lights are circular in different colors, set in individually, not as a single rectangular column of lights, with two triangular signal indicators, as shown in the parts fiche.

Will try to get some pictures posted in the next day or two.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                X