GAH!!!! Bike Down!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GAH!!!! Bike Down!!!

Well, apparently Olympia had a real bad wind storm and the Costco barn that I'd put up as storage and winter workspace for the bike blew over. The bike has been knocked over and all my tools and a good deal of the hardware for the stuff that was taken off the bike has been scattered all to hell. I haven't gotten in touch with anyone that can help out as many people I know are out of town too.

Here is my question. If the bike stays on its side for a few days, how much might that screw up the bike? If all the oil is sloshed to one side, will that ruin seals in the engine? Hopefully somebody can right the thing in the next day or two, but all told it'll likely spend five days or so on its side.

How screwed am I here? -nick

Nick,

The engine won't be damaged, but some gas may get in the oil.

Why can't you pick the bike up? Costco garage laying on it??
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Not much to worry about.

At worst the fuel may leak into the cylinders, run through and over the valves and get into the oil pan. Or maybe just into a cylinder or two.

Any or all of that would depend on the angles involved, and it is not likely.

At worst you would have to drain and replace the engine oil, pull the spark plugs, lube all cylinders with a teaspoon of oil in each, and spin over the engine to blow out the excess oil before replacing the plugs.

After that, you would be good to go.

Otherwise, it is likely the gasoline will seep out and, if the appropriate authorities are found and notified in this holiday season, and following that the subsequent necessary reports are properly completed and filed, you just might be charged with vermicide.
      "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
      Winston Churchill

Comment

Pick her up?

Bummer. That's a nasty way to have your bike go down.

It is possible to pick up even a heavy bike by yourself, if you do it right. There are some utube vids that show how to do it. Basically, you have to back up to the bike and use your legs to lift, but see the vids for details.

I think the biggest danger of having the bike on its side for that long is that oil might seep into the low cylinder, causing a hydrolock when you try to crank it later. I would at least remove the spark plugs from the low cylinders before the first cranking attempt. I would also be concerned about the fuel in the carburetors and/or gas tank seeping into the crankcase, especially if the bike is on the petcock side.

Bottom line, get her upright as soon as you can. Then check for fluid levels/leaks.

Comment

Sorry to hear about this. Not a good way to finish off the year for sure.
          Your engine will be fine. Make sure the fuel in your tank didn't somehow find its way into the crankcases or the cylinders and it will work.
          If fuel did leak down into the engine then drain the oil and pull the oil filter.............replace with new filter and new oil. You might want to pull the plugs and let them and cylinders dry out. With the plugs out sping the engine over with a few added drops of oil in each.
          You'll be ready to rock after that.

Comment

Oh thank Christmas! I thought it was toast. I can't pick it up because I'm in New York for the holidays. My girl friend is getting back to the house today and should be able to get it up with the help of a friend tomorrow. I've put the bike down stupidly a few times in the past and picked it back up with little trouble. 550s aren't that heavy at all.

Now, remove the spark plugs from the "low cylinders" before cranking back up? Do you mean the cylinders on the side of the bike it is down on? Will the bike kick over on just two cylinders? I suppose it will, considering when I got the bike I rode it for a while with two crossed spark plug wires .

This bike has been so damn abused . If I get one solid season of riding this thing I'll be real thankful. I'll tell you all how it turns out. -nick

Comment

First - remove the spark plugs.. Then turn the engine over a few times. Refill the gas tank, change the oil, Probably a new battery too.. Check the brake system and you should be back in business

Comment

The purpose of removing the spark plugs on the 'low' cylinders is to vent them in case they had gotten full of oil or fuel. You will not be trying to start the bike with the plugs out, just cranking the engine a few revolutions to vent out any possible liquids.

If there are liquids in there and you don't remove the plug, when the piston comes up on the compression stroke, it can bend a rod. Not fun or cheap.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Make sure to check battery and rinse down area where battery drained out. The battery acid will slowly eat at whatever it comes in contact with.

That is real bummer, I would set some stakes into ground to secure building to prevent from happening again.

Comment

I just got word that the bike is up. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll tell you how it turns out. -nick

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      The purpose of removing the spark plugs on the 'low' cylinders is to vent them in case they had gotten full of oil or fuel. You will not be trying to start the bike with the plugs out, just cranking the engine a few revolutions to vent out any possible liquids.

If there are liquids in there and you don't remove the plug, when the piston comes up on the compression stroke, it can bend a rod. Not fun or cheap.

Or shatter your starter clutch...more$$$

I learned this one the hard way too....

Comment

Working...
                      X