Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Question GS850

I have a question someone here may be able to help with

Whenever I leave the bike for more than a week or so without using it the clutch seems to grab severly

The only way to free it is to put it on the centrestand and start it in gear and pull the clutch in and hit the rear brake . it then reluctantly frees up and is good as gold until next time.

I am using 10 40 oil and the temperature here is a pleasant 90 degrees (had to throw that in)
    I have taken the clutch apart and all looks good, the bike has less than 12,000 miles on it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Maybe bad clutch cable posibly warped clutch plate ?? Grouves in clutch basket ????? The only way to do it is to take it apart & examine things

Comment

Or ride it more often.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What year 850? If it's a '79, the factory produced a modified release rack to rectify this problem. They reduced the rate of oil being fed into the clutch basket. Unfortunately, the reduced flow caused more pressure upstream from the clutch. Often, the clutch actuation rod seal will start to leak after this mod is done.
        On later 850's, from memory '82 0nwards, the factory also fitted a restricted oil jet in the passage between the crankcase feed port and the clutch actuation rod passage. This oil jet mod reduces the pressure on the clutch rod seal.

Besides these mods, the clutch plates do wear grooves in the driven gear assy and the sleeve hub. These grooves can be smoothed out with a file, preventing the drive plates from binding/grabbing on the bumps left by the wear.

There are other mods that can be done to the basket assy, which will allow the oil to pass through the clutch area quicker.
        The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Thanks for that info, It is an 83 model.
          Looks like I need strip the clutch and have a lot closer inspection.

Comment

Before you strip the clutch down, check that the clutch cable is adjusted and routed correctly. You can get visual confirmation by observing the amount of movement at the actuation lever. At the same time, remove the engine oil filler cap adjacent to the lever to see if the plates are separating when the clutch lever is fully depressed. If this checks out ok, it will probably be due to wear.
            How many kms on your engine?
            The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Well I stripped it down again and the plates were stuck together ( fibres stuck to the metal plates) so I cleaned the fibre plates with a good soak in a degreaser and re-asembeled. All tolerances were good . I also changed the oil and filter again and the problem seems to be fixed. The clutch action also seems a lot smoother and releases easier.

I am guessing that the years of just sitting made the oil soak into the fibres and maybe degrade somewhat in to something that was too sticky.

Has been good so far so time will tell

Comment

You put the fibers in degreaser? I hope you didn't ruin them.
                I would of used a scotchbrite in oil.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yep:and they are fine
                  Its just like cooking , if you get sticky stuff on the plates you use something to get the grease off.
                  Where I am Scotchbrite is an abrasive polish

Seriously though it is a great forum and the shared information is fantastic and i am sure everyone finds lots of tips that they use but do not say anything about on the forum.

keep it up

cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X