points part????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

points part????

Hi everyone, hope your holidays were good, and your bikes got lots of new presents... well I finally got mine to run after finding all the parts, but however, I found 1 more part i need . I dont know what its called,or how its exactly attached, but its the round cam peice that the points run around on so they open and close. Mine is split down 1 side. it will still start and run not well but it will if i fiddle with the points and set them each time.
    suzuki says its no longer available if its the govener?
    anyone know of what other models might work on mine?
    I have a 78 gs 550 would this be a part that I would have to have intact if I could get electronic ignition?

If you get electronic, it comes with a new crank trigger with the trigger magnet in it. Probably cheaper than buying a new OEM points cam (if you can find it). May be a few guys around here that will have an old one that they replaced with an electronic system. Post up in the parts wanted section.

Comment

Flatout apparently carries the GOVERNOR ASSY, ADVANCE
      33120-45011

... is what they call it. It's been so (wonderfully) long since I've had to mess with contact points that I don't recall if that assembly includes the breaker cam. I think so, but the image is really grainy.

See for yourself: http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com

Since it's about a hundred bucks, this looks like a great opportunity / excuse for going electronic.

Good luck.

RB
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

i believe its the same part as your 550.
        do you need the entire advance unit(has springs and attatches to crank) or just the offset part with the bump on it that slides over the advancer?
        what area are you in?
        im in ohio and have alot of 8 and 16v. compete advance units.

Comment

if you go with a dyna S or most all after market and factory ign. systems..
          you still have to have a good advance unit.
          this is mechanical and not an electronic advance like 1150's and 83 750 and 700's ect...
          even when installing a dyna S on a 1150 ect...
          you have to use a early model mechanical advance unit.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            i believe its the same part as your 550.
            do you need the entire advance unit(has springs and attatches to crank) or just the offset part with the bump on it that slides over the advancer?
            what area are you in?
            im in ohio and have alot of 8 and 16v. compete advance units.
            far as i know everything inside is still operational, the part i need is the one that opens and closes the points. i think the previous owner usedd impact to try and move motor, cause when i got it it was froze and cam chain was cut. im in everett washington

Comment

so you need the tube shaped part with the bump on it that opens the points?
              this slides over the advance unit.
              the one on your 550 is the same.
              if for some reason you cant find one...
              p/m me.
              i have (some) on older advance units.
              use me as last resort please
              im in ohio.

Comment

I have one from an 850, but they used two different types on the 550. I think it is the same as far as the cam part. Send me a address & I will send it to you It's about 1 1/8" hi with slots for the advance weights
                Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2009, 04:09 PM.

Comment

i will try to get a good picture of the part i may be inneed, i will take it out and see what it looks like but this is what i have now, my camera isnt the best

Comment

good picture.
                    take the one out of the 550 you mentioned the other day if that is possible..
                    just swap the whole advancer as one piece then it will stay in time.

Comment

I need this part too - does anyone still have one (points cam lobe thing)? - I wouldn't mind just making the points work.... may upgrade to the dyna-S given I can't find it.

Comment

Working...
                      X