piston ring questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

piston ring questions

I have my engine partially torn apart on my 850 and I didn't know if I should replace the piston rings or not. They aren't bad, but while I have it apart it wouldn't be difficult to swap them. I would really hate to have to tear it back apart anytime soon without a darn good reason!

If I did replace them, should I order OEM rings or not? If OEM, does the "set" on sites like bikebandit include rings for all 4 pistons, or just one piston's set of rings? It doesn't really tell on any sites I have checked out. If aftermarket rings, who should I order them from?

I don't think there are any aftermarket rings available so cross that off. Suzuki sells rings in single piston sets - about $28 per piston.

Regarding whether or not you should replace them, I'd do it unless the rings have less than 10k miles on them, or more than 50k in which case I'd measure first to see if there is bore wear.

Oh, and have the cylinder honed before installing the new rings. Bottle brush hones work best for honing used cylinders since they will conform to the cylinder even if there is wear.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    Last edited by Nessism; 01-31-2009, 10:15 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There is no real answer to this question. If you aren't in practice, don't have the tools, or aren't really clear about all the issues at stake in replacing 'just the rings', take the block and pistons to an experienced machinist, along with your engines specs, and have it measured. Then follow their advice.
      People get away with all kinds of things with engines and it depends on your philosophy whether you choose to travel down the guaranteed way, or take your chances. At least with a skilled experienced machinist your chances are increased.
      S.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhorse47 View Post
        There is no real answer to this question. If you aren't in practice, don't have the tools, or aren't really clear about all the issues at stake in replacing 'just the rings', take the block and pistons to an experienced machinist, along with your engines specs, and have it measured. Then follow their advice.
        People get away with all kinds of things with engines and it depends on your philosophy whether you choose to travel down the guaranteed way, or take your chances. At least with a skilled experienced machinist your chances are increased.
        S.

There is "real" answers to my questions. I already got them also. I DO know what I'm doing since I have actually rebuilt a few v-8s. And in saying that I DO have the tools and I am pretty clear in what I have asked. Thank you for weighing in with absolutely ZERO useful information.

Comment

Mighty,

Did you go to the bike swap meet last weekend in Augusta?
          1979 GS850G
          2004 SV650N track bike
          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
            Mighty,

Did you go to the bike swap meet last weekend in Augusta?

no, I was at a wedding

Comment

You are most welcome! Anytime.
              S.

Comment

Originally Posted by silverhorse47
                S.
                Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                There is "real" answers to my questions. I already got them also. I DO know what I'm doing since I have actually rebuilt a few v-8s. And in saying that I DO have the tools and I am pretty clear in what I have asked. Thank you for weighing in with absolutely ZERO useful information.
                Mighty, when you seek technical advice on an open forum, you get the best of what people know. Their responses may not be exactly what you wish to see, but if you respond with sarcasm then others will see it, and on this forum many knowledgeable members who read your responses tend to show you the amount of respect they feel you deserve.

You may not see anything on the screen, but that will mostly be because that is the amount of respect they are showing you.

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                  Mighty, when you seek technical advice on an open forum, you get the best of what people know. Their responses may not be exactly what you wish to see, but if you respond with sarcasm then others will see it, and on this forum many knowledgeable members who read your responses tend to show you the amount of respect they feel you deserve.

You may not see anything on the screen, but that will mostly be because that is the amount of respect they are showing you.

This site usually does provide the very best information that can be had anywhere from an extensive knowledge base. Asking someone what their background in engine rebuilding is, can be a very helpful question in judging what they are capable of. I was asking what seemed like a simple question and Nessism answered me prettily easily. I'm sorry that I didn't have the restraint to not call out the guy who only threw out crap. Why weigh in at all if you can't be constructive???

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    I don't think there are any aftermarket rings available so cross that off. Suzuki sells rings in single piston sets - about $28 per piston.

Regarding whether or not you should replace them, I'd do it unless the rings have less than 10k miles on them, or more than 50k in which case I'd measure first to see if there is bore wear.

Oh, and have the cylinder honed before installing the new rings. Bottle brush hones work best for honing used cylinders since they will conform to the cylinder even if there is wear.

Hope this helps and good luck.

and sorry to not have thanked you sooner Nessism for your answer. You know you're one of the most helpful people on here.

Comment

[QUOTE=mighty13d;950560]I have my engine partially torn apart on my 850 and I didn't know if I should replace the piston rings or not. They aren't bad, but while I have it apart it wouldn't be difficult to swap them. I would really hate to have to tear it back apart anytime soon without a darn good reason!

->So sorry to have misunderstood your problem.

I somehow got the impression that you were saying you didn't know if you should replace your rings or not. Thanks to your later post I know clearly understand that you have rebuilt watercooled V8s. I hear that you have both the skill and tools to do your own measuring and reach your own conclusions.

I don't know how I came to think that someone who had just clearly stated that they didn't know whether to replace their rings would perhaps find an opinion regarding how to determine an answer to that question useful.

I do apologize if you felt I was underestimating you in any way. Certainly no slight was intended.

Your comments, on the other hand, clearly DO intend insult. They also seem totally overblown. This is a nice forum where lots of people give and get help. There is nothing to be gained by directing your anger at other people, and I'd like you to stop directing yours at me.

S.

Comment

OK...apologies offered by all....

Now that that is taken care of, lets drop the gloves, get our hands "muffed-up", and come out riding....

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I seem to remember that Matchless found some Fiat rings that were identical and a lot cheaper. There's a post on here somewhere but I'm blowed if I can find it.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Argonsagas, Are they Hippo Hands on your bars? Do you find that they do a good job at keeping your hands warm? Thanks Ted

Comment

Be opportunistic & measure the ring gap (take a ring off a piston, put it in the corresponding bore by itself at various points, does the gap stay within spec the entire time? but from what you say you probably well adept at this). Personally if i was pulling the engine down for other reasons and figured i'd check the rings and bore "while i was there".

If the bore wasn't too sloppy & due for a re-bore, etc, i would consider replacing the rings if at any point the end gap went over halfway between minimum & maximum spec. If so, while you've got it apart, replace it.

Personally, my bike had 44 thousand km when i tore down the top end to replace a burnt out valve. Ring wise, everything seemed in spec but as i had it apart that was a good enough excuse for me to replace them anyway. And in a side by side comparison the old rings were noticeably thinner than the new ones i replaced them with.

Comment

Working...
                              X