Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain problems

on a gsx1100efe
    when engine running the cam chain is a bit noisy and the tensioner can be rotated slightly and the noise disappears,
    when the engine is stopped the tensioner cannot be moved

is it time for a new cam chain or can the tensioner be fixed?

if the chain has to be replaced what is recommended? and what is the best way to replace it?

thanks

DON'T MOVE THE TENSIONER WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING.

Remove the tensioner. Unfortunately, you will probably have to remove the carbs to get the tensioner off. Look at the bottom of BassCliff's webpage to find a link to bwringer's page, which has his cam chain tensioner article. The article shows you how to change the seals, which you probably don't have to do, but more importantly, it shows how to properly re-install the tensioner. Basically, you retract the plunger as far as you can, use the set screw to lock it in place. Bolt the tensioner to the engine, release the set screw, the plunger should take up the slack in the chain. Tighten the set screw until it lightly seats, then back it out about half a turn and lock it in place with the jam nut. Leaving it loose will allow the tensioner to move to take up any future slack in the chain.

If that does not work, you will have to remove the valve cover and measure the chain. Check your manual for the specified measurement between several links. I don't know the numbers, but it's all in your manual. If your cam chain needs to be replaced, someone else will have to tell you how to do that, I have never had to do one.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Changing a cam chain is done one fo two ways:-

1/ Strip the whole engine and fit an endless chain
      2/ Replace cam chain with a split chain and soft link.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. bmad,

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

is cam chain noise normal???? i get intermittent cam chain noise that seem pretty loud to me. i give it a little gas and it goes away, revs come down and maybe it comes back maybe not???? i have a gs1100e, 1981, and she sat for about 13 years before i got her running again.

Comment

You guys need to install an APE manual camchain tensioner. You adjust it once, and your set for quite some time. Just don't tighten it too tight, like most people do.

Comment

Working...
            X