Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i install a sixth gear

I wonder if i could install a six gear.
    I feel when i am on the highway the bike is revd up to high.
    for example if i am doing 60 the rps are at 4500
    if i want to keep up with traffic at around 70 t0 75 or maybe 80
    the rpm run high. maybe like 5500 or 6000.
    maybe it is normal to run that high rpms on a bike but i feel that i am abuseing the bike.
    I want to criuse at 70 to 75 with low rpms maybe in the 3500 range.
    what do you guys think

sorry about that it is a 1982 gs 850 l

Comment

why not change the sprockets? even though a chain is expensive and the acceleration is lost, just an idea

Comment

Where there is a will there is a way . . . but in your case isn't your 850L a shaftie?
        1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
        Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

no a sixth gear can not be added, no you can't change your shaft ratio. You are just going to have to live it it, 5500 is nothing for these bikes, these motors were designed to rev (as are most bikes harley excluded) and they love to and that is where suzuki hide the power take it up to 7000k then you will feel a completly differant motor, it really wakes up.
          Don't feel bad shift her all the way up at redline it will be fine.
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by jabberjoe87 View Post
            why not change the sprockets? even though a chain is expensive and the acceleration is lost, just an idea
            Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
            Where there is a will there is a way . . . but in your case isn't your 850L a shaftie?
            Alas, ALL 850s are shaft-driven.

We have two 850s here. In spite of one having a 16" rear wheel and the other having a 17" wheel, they both seem to do about 14 mph per 1000 rpm, meaning that you are about right ... you will be turning about 4,000 at 55 mph and 5,000 at 70 mph.

Don't worry about how it sounds, it will do it all day long, day after day.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, it is. Rest assured your bike can handle 5500 rpm all day long.....it isn't abuse. I think the shaftie guys do have a mod though, interchangin 1100G/GK drive parts that will yield lower cruising rpm, though definitely not as low as 3500 rpm @ 75mph.

Tony.
              Last edited by Mysuzyq; 02-12-2009, 12:14 AM.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

its is a shafty. but on my gear indicator it has a number six on it.
                its weird

Comment

N0, you can not.

Earl
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                    Yes, it is. Rest assured your bike can handle 5500 rpm all day long.....it isn't abuse. I think the shaftie guys do have a mod though, using 1100G/GK drive parts that will yield lower cruising rpm on the 850, though definitely not as low as 3500 rpm @ 75mph.

Tony.
                    It only drops it about 300 RPM IIRC. At any rate, these guys are right. The GS loves to rev, (as long as its under load of course) and many a GS spends a good deal of its life in the 6-8K RPM range if its ridden in the twisties frequently. So quit worrying..its all good

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      The GS loves to rev, (as long as its under load of course) and many a GS spends a good deal of its life in the 6-8K RPM range if its ridden in the twisties frequently. So quit worrying..its all good
                      For whatever reason, the 850 seems (to me) to be quite a bit smoother than the 1100's.

Tony.
                      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                        For whatever reason, the 850 seems (to me) to be quite a bit smoother than the 1100's.

Tony.
                        Agreed. While they are more or less the same motor aside from displacement, the 1100 is particularly touchy in the carb balancing dept. And if they fall out of balance for whatever reason, its instantly noticeable. Very "buzzy"...My only complaint about em. I wonder if it has to do with the size of the carbs vs the cylinders? Dunno why...

Comment

What you can do it find a secondary bevel drive gear set from a GS1000G or GS1100G. I have researched this and I believe that if you can find the entire gear set with bearing holders etc. it will directly replace the GS850 Unit. This gearset has a bit higher gear ratio that should drop a couple of hundred RPM off your cruise. I purchased a GS1100G gearset for my 850G but I am thinking about selling the bike now so I could let you try and fit it. It is important that the clearances are set properly with shims. The factory manual spells out how this is done. The transmission output shaft is identical on the 850G and 1000G/1100G. The entire bearing holders, gearsets and shafts have to be used to make the replacement work. Just the 1000G gears by themselves won't fit without the entire assemblies. I have been thinking that this would be a great mod for the GS850G. I purchased my gearset from a GS1100G of of ebay for about 25.00.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by bdalameda View Post
                            What you can do it find a secondary bevel drive gear set from a GS1000G or GS1100G. I have researched this and I believe that if you can find the entire gear set with bearing holders etc. it will directly replace the GS850 Unit. This gearset has a bit higher gear ratio that should drop a couple of hundred RPM off your cruise. I purchased a GS1100G gearset for my 850G but I am thinking about selling the bike now so I could let you try and fit it. It is important that the clearances are set properly with shims. The factory manual spells out how this is done. The transmission output shaft is identical on the 850G and 1000G/1100G. The entire bearing holders, gearsets and shafts have to be used to make the replacement work. Just the 1000G gears by themselves won't fit without the entire assemblies. I have been thinking that this would be a great mod for the GS850G. I purchased my gearset from a GS1100G of of ebay for about 25.00.

Dan
                            hate to burst your bubble but they arent interchangeable. They wont fit.

Comment

One other thing. I have owned both a GS1100G and a couple of GS850G's - I can tell you for sure that the 850 is much smoother than the 1100.

Comment

Working...
                              X