Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Valve cover gasket install?

What's up Everybody?

I have a 1983 gs1100e. I'm about to replace the valve cover gasket. I wanted to know if I should use a litte bit of the black ATV gasket glue or not? I do have an orignal factory made gasket.

Please give me your input.

Thanks, Supavert,

Hi,

Use no glue or sealer on the valve cover gasket. Install with a thin film of grease or WD-40. You'll have an easier time cleaning the surfaces the next time you check your valves.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

Use no glue or sealer on the valve cover gasket. Install with a thin film of grease or WD-40. You'll have an easier time cleaning the surfaces the next time you check your valves.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      +1 on grease. I always put a thin coat of grease on both surfaces of the gasket. The last gasket I removed came off completely in one piece. It is such good shape I keep it in the garage for use as an emergency spare.

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Hylomar Blue is a gasket's best friend. It's tacky, so keeps the gasket from moving around when installing, but doesn't harden and allows you to peel the gasket right off the mating surfaces and reuse it. I first came across it in the military, where it was used to seal about every gasket on every piece of rotating equipment I saw.

I put a thin coat of it on a valve cover gasket when installing, and usually get three or four installs/removals out of the same gasket before it gets too compressed to seal correctly.

Permatex used to distribute it, but now it's distributed in the USA by another company ( http://www.hylomar-usa.com/ ) and ungodly expensive. The good news is one tube lasts a long, long time.
        Last edited by Griffin; 02-19-2009, 11:38 PM.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

It is still available as Permatex for $6.00 per tube See link below

Comment

I use wd40. If you use a gasket cement only put it on one side of the gasket

Comment

Originally posted by gregr View Post
              It is still available as Permatex for $6.00 per tube See link below

http://www.buyracingparts.com/permat...r-sealant.html
              YAY! I was told by Permatex last year that their contract with Hylomar had not been renewed, and it was no longer available. Evidently a new contract has been inked. It is now back on their website as a "new" product... http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...t_sealants.htm

It costs about three times as much as it used to (I think I paid $6 for a 3 oz tube a couple years ago), but it still beats what the other guys are trying to get for the non-permatex Hylomar.
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
              X