81 gs1000gl front wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs1000gl front wiring

I recently removed the fairing from my 81 gs1000gl. the harness that came off off the fairing was pretty straight forward....( from the bike) a 3 prong plug(headlight) a green wire, a black wire and 2 brown wires. I have a schematic for the bike and can tell that the balck and green are each for its respective turn signals but cannot figure out what to do with the brown wires. there was no radio in the fairing. There was a cigar lighter though. perhaps that is what these brns were for. What should i do with them?

Thanks

-FOX

Hi Mr. foxxx85,

Are you using dual-filament bulbs? The brown wires are usually hot wires for the running lights.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The signals have only one blck wire coming from them. Should i tie the brown wires together with the GRN and BLACK . ie should it be.... GRN wire + BRN wire from bike connected to BLK wire of lright signal. And BLK wire +BRN wire connected to BLK wire of left turn signal.

Comment

Bulbs are single filament, as well

Comment

Hi,

Without seeing your situation, I can only guess.

I would speculate that the fairing did indeed have running lights but your stock turn signals do not.

Do not mix the wires as you have suggested.

The stock turn signals (with single filament bulbs) have only two connections. Sometimes the ground connection is where it bolts to the chassis itself, leaving only one wire to connect to the flasher unit.

Cover the ends of the brown wires and leave them in the headlight bucket unconnected. Please verify my suggestions with your wiring diagram. Have some spare fuses handy.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X