Just a reflection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a reflection

This technical part of the forum has +1600 pages of problems.
    I am glad I didnīt realize that so much can go wrong on a GS before I bought it.
    Thank God there are +1600 pages of solutions as well.

JF

Hi,

I don't think it's so much that things go wrong with the GS bikes, other than the weak electrical system. It's that most of the riders/owners who show up here have acquired a bike that has been sitting in a barn for several years (or even sitting outside uncovered!) and need help putting all the systems and components back in safe, ridable condition. Years of neglect takes its toll on all parts of the bike. If you get it all fixed right the first time, you won't have to chase down all the gremlins one at a time.

I'm sure that once you get your motorcycle back to a near-factory fresh condition and maintain it properly, you will have very few problems.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2009, 01:03 AM.

Comment

1600 pages of problems....let's see......I'm just taking a guess here....

800 pages of carb related issues. 600 pages of electrical issues. And the rest are varied in nature, airbox vs. pods, tires, gauges, cables and the like.

Sure alot of pages, but basically the problems.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Sure alot of pages, but basically the problems
        You mean ...the SAME problems...?

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          YEAH!!! a lot of stuff about TIRES!!!! BassCliff......jk I like the tire info

But they are right a lot of new people coming in with really old bikes that have been abused.

Comment

Uhmm.....errr.......Yeah, that's it......that's what I meant.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I am not blind enough to believe that the 1600 pages of problems were unique to the GS.
              I am just glad I chose a bike with what must be the friendliest and and many times extremely knowledgeable members at this fantastic form.
              The AJS, Velocette or BSA forums are slightly smaller. Slightly......

THANKS all contributing members, and thank you admins for keeping it running.

JF

Comment

Hi,

I don't think it's so much that things go wrong with the GS bikes, other than the weak electrical system. It's that most of the riders/owners who show up here have acquired a bike that has been sitting in a barn for several years (or even sitting outside uncovered!) and need help putting all the systems and components back in safe, ridable condition. Years of neglect take its toll on all parts of the bike. If you get it all fixed right the first time, you won't have to chase down all the gremlins one at a time.

I'm sure that once you get your motorcycle back to a near-factory fresh condition and maintain it properly, you will have very few problems.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                +1.
                Time and neglect and for some bikes, butchers for owners, is gonna equal a lot of work to be done.
                The GS is one of the most forgiving motorcycles ever built. You do it right, it'll do you right.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

If more people searched for related posts instead of starting new ones they would see most issues have already been addressed several times.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Is there a thread on PO bike abuse?

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                      If more people searched for related posts instead of starting new ones they would see most issues have already been addressed several times.
                      i'll second that. it amazing how many people start up threads when the same topic is still running
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I love reading the tech stuff. I was also a member of XJBikes for my yamaha.
                        Their tech pages resemble the tech pages here. #1 problem carbs.

Comment

Working...
                        X