Installed donor spline gear today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed donor spline gear today

Thanks to this forum, I will not be hitch-hiking this riding season. After introducing myself and my high miles (55k) GS850L to you guys, I was alerted to check the condition of my spline gear. After all, it has high mileage, and was never lubed since it was factory assembled. I picked up a junk wheel from a 1986 Intruder 800 from EBAY for $25, and a tube of Honda Moly 60. Check out the 2 spline gears, side by side:

Oh, Yeah. THat was just waiting for the next time you were out in Timbucktou to fail completley. (Mr Steve Giblet says that is where they fail).

Lube that with every tire change (or other occasions of having rear wheel off) and it will last long time.

So for the the rest of the life of the bike your total maintnace of the drive train will be to change the gear lube every couple years, lube that hub when rear weel off, and oh, yah, dusting it off every now and then when you clean the bike.

PS: You know join the group of us that also have a "worn verses new" photo of the rear wheel hub.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hi Mr. bigsmellyfred,

Ewww! That's a nasty looking spline. You'll ride much easier knowing you've got a well-maintained rear end. Um, hunh? Did I just say that?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I still have the original one on my 80 1000G!! they don't make them like they used to!

PS: shafties rule!!! only got 15K miles on the SV and it needs a new chain already and them slimey nasty things are not cheep!

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
          I still have the original one on my 80 1000G!! they don't make them like they used to!

PS: shafties rule!!! only got 15K miles on the SV and it needs a new chain already and them slimey nasty things are not cheep!
          Preach it brother!

Thanks,

Cliff

Comment

Working...
          X