No announcement yet.

Engine will not go above ~6000rpm?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty much a direct fit, you have to cut out the signal generator (just unplug & the ignitor) then run the 3 wires up to the required points.
    It's pretty easy.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Dan, one more question about the dyna s ignition. Does this eliminate the need for the ignitor box. I was looking at it and it looks like it all fits where the signal generator goes under the right side cover on the engine. Just wondering, but I guess it is a self contained unit.

Comment

I've been testing the ignition system and my coils seem to have a much higher resistance on the secondary side. My left coil reads at ~115K ohms and the right coil gives me ~126K ohms. The primary side reads within spec at 4.5 ohms though.

My question is if this increased resistance is causing my engine to not go above 6k rpm. I would imagine that with this kind of resistance the engine would just not fire at all but I'm no expert. I was hoping some of the pro's on here wouldchyme in on the subject.

I tested the signal generator too and it reads in at 322 ohms (manual says between 250 and 360 is good). I wanted to test the ignitor box but the manual says that the coils need to be in good order for this so I think my coils would distort the results or lead me to believe that my ignitor is bad when it may not be.

I also had a question on the dyna s ingnition. I know many of the members on here recomend the dyna s ignition when the ingitor is faulty. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but does the dyna s eliminate the need for an ignitor or would I have to replace the ingiotor when I install the dyna s ingnition.

Thanks for all of your advice,
        -Rudy
        Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

The Dyna S does not need your stock igniter.
          I have some coils going on Ebay. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=138125
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Just finished testing the ignitor and came up with some confusing results. The manual states that by connectingthe blue wire on the ignitor with the positive lead on the tester and the neg lead with the green wire, No. 3 cylinder sparks and reversing the polarity of the tester the No. 4 cylinder sparks. With the leads set to have #3 go off it sparks but the #4 cylinder gives off a very weak spark as well. Then with the leads set to have #4 spark, none of them spark. I know this is not the way it should be working but I wonder if this may be as a rsult of my coils being over 100K ohms on the secondary side.

Any thoughs on this? All input is greatly appreciated.

I'm looking into the dyna s ignition and a set of green dyna coils. Does anyone have a used working set that they would be willing to part with? I would like to buy new ones but I'm a college student and my budget is pretty slim.

-Rudy

Comment

I have a good igniter I took off my 80L. I already mentioned the coils.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks Bill, how much are you asking for the ignitor?
                -Rudy

Comment

Rudy, I experienced similar symptoms with my gs1000 years ago after i gave my bike a service and took it for a short run. Wouldnt pull past 6000rpm.
                  I returned home and fitted the air cleaner box with an air filter. It wont run properly without the air filter on.
                  If you have the filter and box properly assembled keep looking . Good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X