Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The coil relay mod.....well worth doing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The coil relay mod.....well worth doing.

So I had the time today to do the coil relay modification. Once I unwrapped the wire harness and found the coil leads it was fairly straightforward. It takes abit of time to make the leads and ends but once sorted it goes easily enough. The only comment I would make in reference to the tutorials is that the tie in for the coil leads (orange and white) is about 7 inches back ( to the rear) from the branch going to the coils.
    The tutorials mention it is only a couple of inches.

The modification works like a charm. In -7 degrees Celsius today the bike fired on the first push of the button. It had been sitting for over a month.

It was too late to try the bike on a ride but tomorrow is going to be clear and sunny and as it is my birthday I'm going for a ride.

Cheers all,
    Spyug.

One big reason for the voltage drop is the ign switch, gets corroded over the years

Comment

Spyug

First off happy birthday. Hope you have an enjoyable ride tommorow.

The only comment I would make in reference to the tutorials is that the tie in for the coil leads (orange and white) is about 7 inches back ( to the rear) from the branch going to the coils.
      There seems to be some variation from year to year as the 82-83 GS1100's at least tie together a (coil +, ignition wire and power to the ECU).

This coil mod is going to one of the next items on my agenda as well.

Pos
      Last edited by posplayr; 03-01-2009, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        This coil mod is going to one of the next items on my agenda as well.

Pos
        Me too. I need to find a block that I can plug three relays into. One for the headlight, one for coils, and one for a louder horn I want to hook up. That and a nice fuse block to replace the stocker that's on its last legs.

Comment

Working...
        X