Please help gurus, GS1100e won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help gurus, GS1100e won't start

OK here's the deal. This bike ran last year when I put it away. It's got a fresh carb clean, fresh gas, and I even changed the plugs for good measure (checked them as I put them in, they're good). Plugs get wet with fuel, they have spark but no start up. Won't fire up, can't get it to idle what so ever. What's my next move? What could have gone haywire while I garaged the bike to the point that it won't start this year? Any help is appreciated.

Check your battery voltage and voltage at the coils. I had weak voltage at the coils, the draw of the starter would suck enough power away to make the spark very weak. I could only start it by kicking it. Make sure your battery is fresh, and you are getting 12 volts or so at the coils.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2009, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Checked, and good.

Coils are Dyna Greens, put them on at the beginning of the season last year.

Comment

As Cv says check your battery and voltage at the coils.
        Have you done the coil relay mod?
        Are there any blown fuses?
        Have you checked the coil connection and resistance? I bought some dynas recently and the contacts were a bit oxidized.
        Cheers
        Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2009, 05:20 PM. Reason: more thoughts

Comment

No blown fuses. I'm getting a really nice blue spark at the plug.

Comment

Had exact same type of problem

+1 on what they said.

Got the battery charged up and gas feeding directly from a gas bottle so no petcock to worryt about.

A little squirt of started fluid and it was off.

Now that battery is better charged starts right up.

Pos

Comment

I guess I can try starter fluid. Battery has been charged for 12 hours. It cranks strong, just no bang

Comment

Does it fire at all, or just turn over and over without so much as a pop?

Comment

Originally posted by C.V. View Post
                  Does it fire at all, or just turn over and over without so much as a pop?
                  There are been a few VERY VERY VERY slight pops. So slight, that I wouldn't even call them pops.

Comment

Gas

Put your petcock on prime and make sure there is gas flowing. If u left it garaged and did not drain the carbs they could have gotten plugged?

With POD's the carbs gas bowls dry out fast so U need to go to "prime" after sitting for any period of time.

Pos

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Put your petcock on prime and make sure there is gas flowing. If u left it garaged and did not drain the carbs they could have gotten plugged?

With POD's the carbs gas bowls dry out fast so U need to go to "prime" after sitting for any period of time.

Pos
                      Just cleaned the carbs yesterday, and I've been priming them

Comment

Check one of the carb drain plugs anyway. There is always a chance that something is preventing fuel flow even though you have everything set for it to flow.

And please don't use starting fluid. It's wonderful stuff that is SO easy to use improperly and do great damage in the process.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Drained all the bowls via the screws on the bottom, all had fuel. Frustrating to say the least...

Comment

Not to keep with the obvious questions, but when you cleaned the carbs, did they get removed, completely dissasembled, a full dip in berymans, and new O rings, as well as new rings for the intake boots? Neglecting any of these usually means you get to do it twice!

Comment

Originally posted by C.V. View Post
                              Not to keep with the obvious questions, but when you cleaned the carbs, did they get removed, completely dissasembled, a full dip in berymans, and new O rings, as well as new rings for the intake boots? Neglecting any of these usually means you get to do it twice!
                              GSXR carbs and an 1100, no intake boot rings and the orings inside the carbs were new as of last year as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X