No announcement yet.

Full face or other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a pretty conscientious rider. I'm aware of what my bike is doing. I maintain it well, I inspect it regularly.

I take riders courses, practice emergency braking, swerving, and avoidance. I ride as if I'm invisible.

STILL I wear ATGATT. Machines fail, unexpected conditions arise, dust blows into eyes at the most inopportune moment, trucks spill diesel.........

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Comment

+1 for full face, I slid down the road on my face with a 3/4 on and that little sheild being the only protection for my face. Bleeding nose,split lip, kept my teeth. From that day on I voted for a full face.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
        It reveals the high intelligence and common sense of the overwhelming majority of the members of this group.
        well that is if safety is most peoples #1 priority. its not mine. i only mentioned the vetter fairing because i dont see it conceivable to ride a half helmet without a windshield.

Comment

Originally posted by lordcannon88 View Post
          well that is if safety is most peoples #1 priority. its not mine. i only mentioned the vetter fairing because i dont see it conceivable to ride a half helmet without a windshield.
          And safety is not your top priority? Interesting...

Ride safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
            And safety is not your top priority? Interesting...

Ride safe.
            Well if one were to make safety their top priority, one wouldn't ride motorcycles at all....
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I have meant to put this up a while ago, but was tied up with other things. Yes, I too was lured by the sweet siren song of flip up helmets. Yeah baby,...

Comment

You're kidding, right?

Earl
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Excellent link! Thanks! All the flip up helmet guys should check this out.

Full face for me (HJC), but the visor went bye bye. Not to big a deal with the vetter, but I am shopping for a new one.

Comment

Excellent link, Billyboy. Thank you!

Comment

I think a major point missed in that link's post was, Hh was speeding into a blind turn at night. And from the sound of it, the helmet did its job. Hes alive and able to post without the use of a drool bucket.

Comment

Safety third.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                          I'm a pretty conscientious rider. I'm aware of what my bike is doing. I maintain it well, I inspect it regularly.

I take riders courses, practice emergency braking, swerving, and avoidance. I ride as if I'm invisible.

STILL I wear ATGATT. Machines fail, unexpected conditions arise, dust blows into eyes at the most inopportune moment, trucks spill diesel.........

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
                          It's difficult to come up better reasoning than that, Billy.
                          "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                            the thing i am confused about with the dot vs snell helmet debate... every snell helmet i've ever had was also dot approved. so how does being snell AND dot make it not as safe as just dot?

It's all in the testing.

A helmet that reaches Snell's approval ratings will also inherently pass the DOT's testing methods. That, and the DOT doesn't actually test helmets...they leave that up to the manufacturers then trust that those manufacturers are being honest.

Snell's certifications generally require a helmet to require some rather silly things. Two drops onto an anvil from the same heigh on the same exact spot. That's ridiculous. The chances of hitting the exact same spot on a helmet are pretty high...but the chances of hitting the exact same spot at the exact same velocity are VERY VERY low. But that is part of the test, and in order to pass that many manufacturers are making their helmets too stiff. This stiffness doesn't allow the helmet to compress optimally in a crash, and therefore the stiffer helmets might be a little bit less safe in an actual crash. A helmet's whole purpose is to slow the head down in a collision, really. But in order for a helmet to pass Snell's testing, it has to be a bit too stiff to ideally slow the head down in an accident.

When all of this information broke, Snell quickly decided to change their testing procedures and revise their certifications...but it's taking them a long time to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Snell vs DOT? Depends on how you ride.

DOT rating covers what is likely to happen on the street at somewhat legal speeds. Snell is rated for racing speeds. Given that you only have about an inch of foam for padding inside the shell, they have to adjust the density of the foam for the speed. A foam that is light enough to absorb the shock of your head hitting the pavement at 60 mph is far too light to absorb it at 160 mph. Conversely, foam that is dense enough to properly absorb the impact at 160 may as well be a brick wall at 60.

If you race, get a Snell-rated helmet. If you stick to the street, DOT will suffice.

Incorrect.

Read this article to understand why.
                              Motorcyclist, America’s First motorcycle magazine, publishes new and used motorcycle reviews, bike news, and riding tips for riders that love to ride motorcycles!

Racers don't wear Snell helmets because they are safer...they wear them because they are sponsored by companies that are Snell certified companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson View Post
                                It's difficult to come up better reasoning than that, Billy.
                                Thanks Bert.
                                I could also add that I have a responsibility to be around for my family, show my wife I'm being as safe as possible to aswage her fears, and set a good example for my children and others that are new to riding.

The link was just to show the possible flaws in a flipface lid. Every rider makes his/her own gear choices.

Comment

Working...
                                X