It Almost Lives - Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Almost Lives - Need Advice

My GS650GS will start immediately, idle, and even cruise around the side streets; but after half throttle the engine dies. I don't have the air box, so I'm running with open carbs, and stock jets. I'm going to put pods on it and I figure I need larger main jets. My question is, what size main jets should I buy? I live in southern California which is about 1400 feet above sea level.

Hi Mr. Uruka,

You'll have to perform some plug chops to really dial it in. With pods, you should probably start with at least two sizes above stock. Don't run lean.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Uruka View Post
      My GS650GS will start immediately, idle, and even cruise around the side streets; but after half throttle the engine dies. I don't have the air box, so I'm running with open carbs, and stock jets. I'm going to put pods on it and I figure I need larger main jets. My question is, what size main jets should I buy? I live in southern California which is about 1400 feet above sea level.

Don't go at jetting half assed. Make sure you do everything required when jetting a bike, especially if you are going to be running it significantly differently than how it was before. And pods are quite a bit less restrictive than a stock air box.

Your larger main jets are a good start...but what about your idle?? What about your mid-range?? All of these things need to be addressed when you're doing jetting work.

Just going up a few sizes on the main jets isn't enough to correctly tune a bikes jetting.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2009, 04:47 AM.

Comment

True, just changing the main jets isn't all you need to do, but that's likely all the parts you will need to buy. Other changes will include shimming the jet needle and turning the mixture adjust screw out to about 3 turns. That usually gets you close enough to do plug chops so you can verify proper jetting.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I generally don't like shimming needles, though. I find that the taper of the aftermarket needles generally does make a difference. It usually does smooth out the overall range fairly well. Shimming just moves the flat spots.

But in all reality, good enough usually is good enough, so shimming wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Comment

Working...
          X