Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS1100E Clutch Effort

My First post. I'll do an intro later.

I bought my first GS a few weeks ago and noticed the clutch effort is higher than any Honda/Yamaha 750 I've ever had and a friend with a Wing and KZ1000 also thought it was pretty high.

Yesterday the clutch went out and it needs new discs or plates so I'll be in there. Does it sound like its got stock springs or some aftermarket Heavy Duty ones? How hard will it be to get the cluch parts and where should I look? Ebay, dealer, other?

Should I run stock weight clutch springs? The motor is now 1168cc at 10.5:1 with a hotter cam too. I'm not planning to drag race it and I suspect redline will be a rare event.

Thanks all.

PM me your # & I will call you or you can call me at 714-356-7845. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      PM me your # & I will call you or you can call me at 714-356-7845. Ray.
      Take notes. Ray has got more info than a repair manual.

Take a look at http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ Go to the section that says More Info / Tips
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Ray is the man! and that sounds aftermarket. stock they are not very hard to pull.

Comment

Make sure your clutch cable isn't seizing.!!
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

With the upgrades on the engine I'd go with a 3 Barnett HD clutch spring and three stock. This worked on mine until I had the head done and this setup no longer worked and I had to go with six Barnett HD.
            If you need any good fibers or steels I have a bunch of extras. I even have the three Barnett springs and three good stock springs if you need those also.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I had clutch slippage problems when i got my bike, so I took the clutch apart and measured the fibers which measured well within spec, so I installed new stock springs, scuffed the steels and still slipping. I think someone was running addditive oil in it that impregnated the fibers. I ordered all new plates fibers and steels as well as the wave washer setup that goes in behind, and all 6 EBC springs. I got everything from Bike Bandit. I dont know how the EBC springs are compared to the barnetts but 6 was too much, made stop and go traffic no fun at all. I put in half stock springs and the clutch bites great no slipping and not too stiff.

Comment

It apart now

I took it apart and fibers are within spec. Steel look a little under, mine are .072"-.074' (Std 1.94-2.06mm) but there are 10 steels (1 still in the bike). http://rides.webshots.com/album/570441062qVggpc?start=0 Shouldn't there only be 9? Freeheight on the springs is from 1.520" to 1.535". Visted my local dealer and he quoted me some part numbers for a 1100EZ, which are different then my ED according to http://www.babbittsonline.com/. I'll go back there and mention that to them.

I checked the clutch cable and its fine and also put a new one in that came with the bike. They both slide nice and easy and the new one didn't make it much easier.

PO doesn't think there was synethic oil in it.

Ray is great, talked to him for 15 minutes.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

check out the online fiche for your bike http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-mot...d-1983/o/m5994
                  The one steel is behind a wave washer and wire that holds it in. I would recommend you replace that. You would have to remove the inner clutch hub to get at it.
                  You really gonna order your parts from the stealership? and pay double or more than online?
                  Those steels dont look too healthy, discolored.
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2009, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Be sure you are checking the right specs. The specs changed, I think in "82" they added 3 plates & made them a little thinner. Pre "82" had fewer plates that were thicker.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I checked specs for an '1100ED. Friction discs are to be .085 to .093 with a service limit of .073. Mine ranged from .087 to .094 with most around .092. Inches. I measured them in 3 or 4 places, not much difference.

I looked at Bike Bandit. They don't list prices for the plates.

No, I really don't want to pay more, but local dealer is comparable to Babbits and better on springs. There is a Barnett clutch on Ebay and dealer has an EBC choice.

Offline someone recommended Suzuki or Fast By Gast so probably stick with that. FBG didn't list steels, so OEM is fine with me.

Comment

Working...
                      X