Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring help...white/green wire off stator goes to main harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring help...white/green wire off stator goes to main harness?

I'm installing an F4i regulator. I was under the impression that a stator created three-phase AC juice and that all three phases went INTO the rectifier. However, on my bike, there's a white/green stripe wire from the stator that goes to a white/green strip wire on the main harness..completely bypasses the regulator which means there is a number of volts AC flowing through my harness to somewhere, if my understanding of electricity is somewhat accurate.

Doing the F4i R/R don't I wire all three stator feeds to the 3-prong plug and then run my juice to the battery and harness from the 4-prong plug?

Get a schematic

U will see that that leg is wired through the headlight switch to open the single stator leg when the lights are off.

It is generally accepted practice to wire the three stator wires direct to the R/R.

Pos

Comment

That wire goes up into the headlight bucket and loops its way back. It used to go or does go to the headlight switch that used to switch one leg of the stator on and off with the headlight. Just connect the three stator wires right into the R/R.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

hmmm...will my headlight on/off switch still work if I bypass it? It should, I think...

Comment

Hi Mr. makenzie71,

The first time I replaced my r/r, I seem to recall that one leg of the stator went to the headlight switch (non-existent on my bike) on a white/green wire and then came back on a white/red wire. I cut them both, taped them off, and tucked them out of the way. Then I connected all three "yellow" stator wires directly to the regulator/rectifier. I mention the unused wires in my ""Regulator/Rectifier Replacement" guide.

Do you have a headlight on/off switch? I think the "always on" law started in 1980 and therefore the switch was done away with, but the wiring remained. I guess Suzuki didn't want to make up new wiring harnesses until all of the old ones were used up.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The law varies from state to state...in Texas it's required to be on all the time on anything made after 1975, but that wasn't until 1995. My 1981 has an on/off switch and I know of a 1983 model 550 (I think) that has one.

Either way...I sorted it all out.

Out of curiosity I got to testing my stator again...standing test I get 1.2ohms between all the legs, which is good results. With the bike running I get about 15vac between all the legs. Good stuff. I can't wait for my new stator...

Comment

Working...
            X