X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken oil cap

Hey chaps

Quick question.

I was giving my bike an oil/ filter change, and when i went to replace the oil the cap was stuck, really stuck. Then part of lip where u grip onto broke off.

Any suggestions on how I get it off without breaking it more?
    Apply some heat?

Cheers

Steve

Steve, don't worry about breaking it more, you need to replace it anyway. Find a new one & use vise grips, pliers, a punch or WHATEVER it takes to get the old one off & then put the new one on. Ray.

Comment

Hit the broken part with a chisel to loosen it.

Comment

I just went to the Housewares Show and saw an AMAZING product called "Insta-Fix." I was truly impressed with what this stuff is capable of. Not only will it bond the broken piece back on to the cap, but it also features a "filler" that, along with the bonding agent, allows you to "cold weld" and build up additional strength. It cures instantly and can be sanded, drilled, tapped, etc. etc. The stuff is good to 300 degrees F (and down to -30F), and has been tested immersed in gasoline for over a year without any degradation.

I'm usually skeptical of "miracle products," but I saw some pretty impossible repairs demonstrated ... the stuff is REALLY good! Although you'd have to wait to receive an order if you're not in too much of a hurry this might save you the hassle of buying a replacement cap right away. More importantly, it might help make removing the broken one easier. This stuff is so new it hasn't yet hit major retailers, and is only available through a few channels.

Check out the videos on the website ... you'll be truly impressed!

Here's the link:

Insta-Fix (This is currently the only U.S. distribution channel)

Insta-Fix Pro (this is the inventor's own site, and has most of the tech info and videos.) I met him yesterday at the show (Carson Manning) ... nice guy! He told me that this product got its initial boost from guys on a custom car site, and I told him I thought we'd find lots of uses for it on our motorcycle forum. In particular I'm looking forward to using it (when I get mine) to reattach and build up the bases of our side cover posts!

Hope this is useful to you!

Regards,

Comment

Working...
        X