Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APE Guide tensioner

What happend here???

It was installed and broke within 2K miles.

The OEM tensioner is metal backed so it can't do this.

I've broke the oem one too, that's looks like one of the unbreakable one's.

I guess that the chain was too tight, or somehow the guide got caught inside of the cam tunnel or maybe on a casting spot ??
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

(oxymoron)

yes a broken unbreakable one (oxymoron)

Well the chain was not very tight when I went to adjust the valves. The end got knarled from retightening with the nub.

Later in removing the head to do the top end 1168 kit I found it.

Pos

Comment

why not ask APE directly?

Comment

Opinions

why not ask APE directly?
          I want to see what everybody elses opinion is from here if possible, but I'll ask.

Pos

Comment

What was your adjustment procedure/criteria for the APE unit?

Comment

The cam chain tensioner was too tight or incorrectly installed.

Comment

Adjustment

I personally did not do the adjustment the first time (only after I found it apparently broken and very slack).

The initial adjustment was done by the same person that degreed my cams. Although I know he sets the chain pretty tight and that It was tigher than I would have guessed I really don't have the experience to question his 30+ years doing this stuff.

The bike is going back together this weekend, I'm split between installing an older cracked OEM tensioner guide, or get another unbreakable one and loosen the chain a little.

If there is any question about it breaking, I dont want it in the motor as it requires pulling the juggs to replace.

Pos

Comment

I'm the one that set the tensioner up on it the first time & I didn't make it any tighter than I do the stock chain guides. I have never seen the Van Sant guide do that before so I'm wondering if it was from a batch of material that was too soft? Jim, I think I have another brand new one & I will give it to you if you think I over tightened it. I honestly don't know if that was the case or not. I know I've never had a stock guide or any other Van Sant guide do that before. Let me know. Ray.

Comment

Ray

As I mentioned before I can't really question what you did . You have been doing it much longer than I.

APE said they have never see it before.

Still up in the air whether to risk another one or stick an old OEM one in.

I just ordered another from APE just now. (Van Sant guide ???)

will decide by the weekend.

Jim

Comment

Jim, go to www.vansantent.com/raceteam.htm They are the ones that make the guides that APE sells. Click on the Used Parts For Sale icon & the guide is right there. I would call Bruce & ask if it has happened before or not. Ray.
                      Last edited by rapidray; 03-25-2009, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I was wondering

if somehow there could be a stiff link in the cam chain that caused extra binding and stress on the guide.

alternatively the guide was not perfectly aligned in the chain tunnel, but the groves on the broken part are pretty well aligned.

VS is in Iowa; will call tommorow.

I sent an e-mail.

Pos

Holy Frick

1/8 Mile: 4.41 seconds, elapsed time, 170 MPH
                        • 1/4 Mile: 6.91 seconds, elapsed time, 194 MPH
                        • 400+ Horsepower
                        • 0-60 MPH, 1 second
                        • 0-100 MPH, 2.10 seconds
                        Last edited by posplayr; 03-25-2009, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Broken Tensioner Guide 83 GS1100E

Very nice response; I already ordered another tensioner and will try it a little looser.

Jim,
                          I am sorry I have been out of town and was not able to respond to your email.
                          Based on the photos I saw, my first thought is that the tensioner was tightened too much initially. I understand, however that this was retensioned after a loose chain was found and the photos may be deceiving.
                          Heat is the biggest enemy of this material and the only other failure I have seen came from a mini-sprint with a GS motor that ran extremely hot and was most likely over tightened to boot.
                          I apologize for the trouble this caused you. I will replace the tensioner with a new one if you feel that there was a problem beyond your control in this case. I appreciate your business.
                          Sincerely,
                          Bruce Van Sant
                          www.Dragbikeparts.com
                          641-628-3206

-----Original Message-----
                          ]
                          Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:57 PM
                          To: bruce@vansantracing.com
                          Subject: Broken Tensioner Guide 83 GS1100E
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=139202
                          Hi Bruce,
                          I posted a link about a tensioner guide that broke for unknown reasons and was wondering if you could offer any recommendations about what might have happened.
                          I'm doing and 1168 kit for my GS1100ED this weekend and need to make a decision to go OEM or use another VS guide.
                          Thanks
                          Jim Moore

Comment

Working...
                          X