Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different clearances when measuring valves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different clearances when measuring valves?

Just a quick question really -I measured my valve clearances two ways:
    1) the cams are perpendicular to the shim surfaces
    2) the cams are vertical

For the most part, they matched up perfectly fine. In two instances, there were huge differences:

Cyl3 intake (perpendicular): 0.1-0.15mm
    Cyl3 intake (vertical): 0.04-0.05mm

Cyl4 exhaust (perpendicular): 0.04-.05mm
    Cyl4 exhaust (vertical): 0.1-.15mm

Any particular reason why this would happen? Which measurement is "right"? Everything else went ok, so my new shims will be on their way soon

The right way is when the lobes are pointing directly opposite the surface of the shim.

Comment

Originally posted by uudfourty View Post
      The right way is when the lobes are pointing directly opposite the surface of the shim.
      Sorry but no. The cams must be in the Suzuki specified position or the adjacent valve will be compressed which will skew the cam in the journal clearance, thus leading to improper valve clearance measurements. All valves are adjusted in pairs for this reason.

#1 E lobe pointing forward, parallel to gasket surface: check 1E and 2E
      #4 E lobe pointing forward, parallel to gasket surface: check 3E and 4E

#1 I lobe pointing up, perpendicular to the gasket surface: check 1I and 2I
      #4 I lobe pointing up, perpendicular to the gasket surface: check 3I and 4I
      Last edited by Nessism; 03-28-2009, 11:48 AM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Sorry but no. The cams must be in the Suzuki specified position or the adjacent valve will be compressed which will skew the cam in the journal clearance, thus leading to improper valve clearance measurements. All valves are adjusted in pairs for this reason.

#1 E lobe pointing forward, parallel to gasket surface: check 1E and 2E
        #4 E lobe pointing forward, parallel to gasket surface: check 3E and 4E

#1 I lobe pointing up, perpendicular to the gasket surface: check 1I and 2I
        #4 I lobe pointing up, perpendicular to the gasket surface: check 3I and 4I
        so basically i need to redo all my measurements?

Comment

YEP...

more worthless characters to allow for post

Comment

Is it the same way with shimless valves? IE adjusting nut & bolt?

When I adjusted my 8 valve twin, I just set the valve lobe opposite of the valve and adjusted it. I don't see how that's going to be a problem.

Comment

On the 8-valve twin, that might not make a difference.

It took a while for me to realize why the specified lobe orientation on the four-cylinder bikes, but it now makes sense.
              When the lobes are set the way Nessism detailed, neither cam lobe on that side of the engine is pushing on a valve. This ensures that the cam is in a rather neutral position and not being distorted by the pressure of opening a valve. It also makes it a bit quicker. Set the cams once, measure two valves.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X