another carb issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another carb issue

I bougth a 83 1100l about a year ago and before I rode it i had the head and base gasket replaced, stator and r/r replaced with a electrosport units. I then put a Vancs and Hines 4 1nto 1. I fired it up and its way lean. Then I went with the the pipe recomenditions and swapped the mains from a #115 to a #122.5 pilots from a #40 to a #47.5. WAY WAY to rich blows back smoke out the pipe and sometimes small flames. If Iam not heavy on the throttle it will carbon foul the plugs. It get 32 miles a gallon. My local suzuki dealer which has sold and worked on more GSs then anyone in a 3 or 4 hundred mile radious told me to put the factory jets back in and turn the screw out 3 and a half turns because a 1100l with no other mods doesnt need rejeted for a pipe. Before anyone asked I had the carbs synced, valves adjuste, new O-rings, and good boots, and a sealed air box. Since these pipes are common I hope someone can give me some advice on what jets they are runnig with a 4 into 1 pipe and a factory box. Thanks to anyone who read this long ass post.

I would take the dealers advise. With just a pipe mod and everything else stock...you shouldn't need a rejet. If you had pods on it...I would say that the combo you have (jets wise) would be just about right. You may have to shim the jet needles up a bit with the stock jets. This will help the lean condition on the bottom end.

Comment

Holy Cow!!! No wonder it was running rich. I would put the stock jets back in and perhaps shim the needles .020 thousands. I would also run a stock air filter, you should be fine

Comment

Thanks for the advice it's just what I wanted to hear. I forgot to mention that I shimmed the needles when I changed the jets so I shoud be good when the right jets are back in. I have a question concerning the air box that I forgot to ask the dealer today when I got new jets. The air box has two groups of holes in the bottom of the box and a large hole about 1and a half by 4 inches on the back side. A friend tells me that he seems to think his 1100 had a rubber plug in that hole and that it may be what caused it to run lean with the factory jets. He tossed the box when he went with pods so Iam not sure if I need to seal it or not.

Comment

Working...
        X