X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vm30 carbs + pods

Hi,

Need advice please.

VM30SS equipped 78 GS1000 with pods (GS1000ST Local variation)
    I do not have a suitable airbox or airbox manifolds hence pods.

Carbs rebuilt and new o rings
    float levels 24mm
    bench synched
    fuel screws 1/2 turn out
    side air screws 1.5 out
    standard exhaust
    Inlet manifolds in VGC and no sign of air leaks.
    The head is also GS1000ST but standard E cams.

Starts and runs well until i load it up riding as in accel up a hill or cracking the gas - then just dies until i back off.

Will rasing the needles a notch help? Any suggestions?
    Main jets are now 112.5 up from the 100 jets the carbs came with.
    Also looking for a p/n for the carb base gasket (bigger than a VM26/8 Gasket as in wider). The mid range jets are std as far as i know. Not surte size.

Cheers

Hey mate
    I am no carb expert but I had a similar issue wit a different bike and I shimed the needle jets up a tad. It worked for me.
    I have an airbox with a foam filter in it. PM me if you want to borrow/buy it.
    cheers

Comment

I'd try opening up the pilot fuel screw another 1/2 turn. You may also have to increase the pilot jets one step.

Regarding the gaskets, it's actually pretty easy to cut your own. Trace out the pattern on gasket paper and cut it out with an exacto. To punch the holes, get a piece of tubing of the appropriate diameter and sharpen the tip before using it like a punch. Works great.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGS View Post
        Hey mate
        I am no carb expert but I had a similar issue wit a different bike and I shimed the needle jets up a tad. It worked for me.
        I have an airbox with a foam filter in it. PM me if you want to borrow/buy it.
        cheers
        Thanks Kiwi GS - Can you confirm you have the front part of the airbox complete with the rubber manifolds with 48-50mm inside measurement at carbs? Spacing is as per the VM28 etc. If so i will PM you.

I will definitely try rasing the needle now.

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          I'd try opening up the pilot fuel screw another 1/2 turn. You may also have to increase the pilot jets one step.

Regarding the gaskets, it's actually pretty easy to cut your own. Trace out the pattern on gasket paper and cut it out with an exacto. To punch the holes, get a piece of tubing of the appropriate diameter and sharpen the tip before using it like a punch. Works great.

Thanks Nessism - i will try your suggestions also plus yes looks like i might have to make my own gaskets as per your suggestion - no Suzuzki dealer seems to have a parts list for this odd size carb/s.

Cheers also

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbob View Post
            Thanks Kiwi GS - Can you confirm you have the front part of the airbox complete with the rubber manifolds with 48-50mm inside measurement at carbs? Spacing is as per the VM28 etc. If so i will PM you.

I will definitely try rasing the needle now.

Many thanks.
            I have both parts of the airbox front and back with.....

installed.
            The air box is of an '80 1000E so it has the 34mm Cvs.
            I will measure it up tonight after work for you mate.
            Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X