Updates with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates with pics

New intake boots installed – The hardest part was to remove the old ones (thank God for impact driver)

New front tire installed – Putting the new tire on the rim wasn’t as hard as I first thought. A little bit of elbow grease and it was on. Didn’t get to do the rear tire yet… most likely will be doing this one evening this week.

Old intake boots and misc. parts from the carbs – When I removed the carbs for cleaning 2 out of the 4 intake boots just broke apart. You can also see the old carbs bowl gaskets and some of the screws I have replaced.

Front fork oil seals – This is a pic of the old seals… no surprise that they were leaking… all rusted. I don’t have a pic of the new ones… they are on the bike. Last night I put the fork back together with the new seals, new oil. Front suspension feels very very nice.

From a previous post I mentioned an oil leak (actually 2 – one from the plug and one from the filter cover area). I was able to fix (at least I believe I did) the one from the plug.
    The one from the front cover (where the oil filter is) hasn’t been fixed yet…. I am going to see if I can change the ring again (I have an extra one) Last night after putting the fork back I took her for a ride (just around the block) and oil was leaking like crazy from the front. Here is a pic of the problem area. Any suggestions? I went through about 8 quarts of oil already ☹.

Here is a pic of the binder that I made that has a copy of the manual and some of Mr. Basscliff’s “How To”..

A pic of the rear tire waiting to be installed – The tire at the bottom is the old front tire.
    I use the old tire as a “stand” when installing the new one on the rim. I think it works better than pieces of wood (to protect the rim from the floor)

And here is a pic of the girl in the garage… excuse the mess:

I will continue to update you... thanks for everyone's help.

Comment

Looking good!

Congrats on doing your own work! Makes the time fly by and you can have some fun while learning something.

Comment

Originally posted by julien View Post
        From a previous post I mentioned an oil leak (actually 2 – one from the plug and one from the filter cover area). I was able to fix (at least I believe I did) the one from the plug.
        The one from the front cover (where the oil filter is) hasn’t been fixed yet…. I am going to see if I can change the ring again (I have an extra one) Last night after putting the fork back I took her for a ride (just around the block) and oil was leaking like crazy from the front. Here is a pic of the problem area. Any suggestions? I went through about 8 quarts of oil already ☹.

A pic of the rear tire waiting to be installed – The tire at the bottom is the old front tire.
        I use the old tire as a “stand” when installing the new one on the rim. I think it works better than pieces of wood (to protect the rim from the floor)

Did you replace the o-ring on the filter cover. They tend to flatten out after 3 or 4 filter changes and you don't want to overtighten those 3 10mm bolts(you replaced with allen bolts?). I only use 2 fingers of torque when tightening. I also use a touch of grease to keep the o-ring stuck in place on the cover groove and from flopping out of position while evenly tightening the cover down. A new o-ring comes with the Fram filters otherwise you have to get them seperately for $3/ea.
        The rear tire may take more effort to change because of the wider size that seems to be less flexible.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2009, 10:31 AM.

Comment

How'd she run on your trip around the block ? I've had an oring get pinched under the oil filter cover and yes it will leak like crazy. Gotta make sure those are in the proper place before tightening down the cover. Are the studs stripped ? I noticed you have nuts there instead of the cap nuts. Perhaps they just aren't getting tight enough. You might try some teflon tape around the drain plug, if it's not to buggered up. Do you think it's stripped ?
          That's alot of work. Great job !!
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Looks like you have an oil-cooler setup on there. I'd be interested to see some more pics of that...

For the oil filter cover, if the studs are stripped (which seems to be a common problem) you can replace them with stainless pieces for greater durability. If you do a search you will find instructions on how to remove with two nuts locked together or with vise-grip pliers. From what I understand it's pretty easy.

And congrats on your progress, you should be riding in no time.

Comment

dr_fogs8: Thanks... yes it is a fun (and sometimes frustrating) learning experience.

lurch12_2000: yes, I replaced the bolt... 2 of them were stripped. I have replaced the o-ring when I changed the filter... maybe it is out of place... I am planning on looking at it tonight again... I need to buy some more oil first

Larry D: the run around the block was nice... since the I cleaned the carbs I can feel better throttle response... I can't wait to take a test ride on the highway. Before, when on 5th gear, she would hesitate and I couldn't go faster than 50-55 mph. From the little ride last night... even on 1st, 2nd and third... she wasn't hesitating at all. She is actually kinda fast
              Regarding the drain plug, I believe I took care of it... the person before me replaced the original plug with a bigger one and the original (I purchased one) doesn't fit... it is too small now. I used a car plug washer (half rubber half metal) and it seems to work. At least it didn't leaked from it last night.

JTsGS650: I can take more pics of the setup... there is a small "radiator" above. The only plain with this is the setup inside the filter box... there is a small copper tube that needs to be held in place when closing everything back.
              I will do a search for instructions on the removal of the stripped studs but if anyone can point me towards it, I would appreciate it.

Once I change the rear tire, she is all ready (except for a big bath) to ride. It will be raining here for the next few days... but we are expecting a nice weekend... my goal is to have her ready for Saturday.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2009, 10:50 PM.

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Post #11 explains how to remove the studs.

Comment

JTsGS650 - Thank You very much Sir

Be Safe.

Comment

Yeah, we GS650G owners are curious about that oil cooler setup and how it is plumbed. On the Katana version it goes to the oil pan.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Interesting... does anyone with a GS650G has the same setup?
                      Is my baby "special" ? I will take some more pics tonight.

Comment

Well here we are... some pics of the "special oil coolant setup" on my 650G.

I have started a new thread with the same pics (just in case someone doesn't grab this updates one)

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions/ideas.

Comment

I have wondered if getting an oil pan off of a katana 650 w and swaping it out....if that would work? I dont know if the oil passages in the lower case are the same on all the 650's or if the katana lower case is special??

Comment

I've got pictures of the lower end of a kat (somewhere) but it does not show the magic inside that sends oil up and back. I always thought that tapping off the oil filter through the drain plug and returning it to the pan would work as long as a restriction was in place to keep pressure from dropping.

These engines have high oil pressure, around 40 lbs/inch, so steel braided lines would be a good idea.

Question: Does the oil cooler get hot when the engine is running?
                            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by julien View Post
                              Last night after putting the fork back I took her for a ride (just around the block) and oil was leaking like crazy from the front. Here is a pic of the problem area. Any suggestions? I went through about 8 quarts of oil already ☹.
                              Oil down that rear tire and you might not make it around the block.

Comment

Working...
                              X