Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help!

Hello chaps

Any tips with this issue would be helpful.

The GS1000g has been standing for over a year, so i emptied the petrol, changed the oil and filter, and have a new battery. I put a teaspoon of engine cleaner in the carbs to make sure there was some lube before starting.

But when I started it, with choke on, the bike started smoking from the top of the down pipes on the exhaust (I had to take them off to change the oil), and got really hot rather fast.

My question is is this normal, is there a chance i've not made a complete seal around the exhaust down pipe. Anything else I should watch out for?

Many thnaks
    Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2009, 06:55 PM.

My first guess is that it is completely normal. if you used and penitrating oil on the exhaust mounting hardware you most likely got some on the headerd and this will definately smoke off as the exhaust heats up. howwas everything else? the most common issue with a bike that sets is that the carbs tend to gum up. if it idles and runns well I thing your good. You would most lkely hear an exhaust leakat the head andwould be unlikely to be able to see exhaust smoke from it.

Comment

What he said ^

Comment

You mean your headers got hot???
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks guys

Its sorted out now, must have just been some crap in the engine.

Steve

Comment

That's the engine springing to life!
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
            X