Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long winter - teardown

Hi Guys. I'm new here.
    I'm up in New England where it starting snowing the first of November.
    I took the down time to tear down my 1978 GS 750 to the frame and have it powdercoated, which of course now makes the rest look like cr@p. ;-)

I am trying to find an aftermarket handlebar similar to the original, which are low and fairly straight. The width is about 30" and the Rise is about 5" with maybe 7" pull back. Very similar to my 2002 V-strom which are black.

Anyone know another model/year/ or company that carries something similar in chrome. I haven't had any luck with EBAY and its starting to hold up the project.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thx,

Tom

Hi,

The Daytona bar and the Superbike bar are popular around here, but they are lower than stock. I'm an old guy and I like my stock bars.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Dennis Kirk carries a ton of handlebars.

1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

I'll give Dennis Kirk a try.

I'd prefer the stock too, but even whats on the bike are lower than stock. Maybe Daytonas will do the trick.

You know you are dealing with an old bike when the only local bike salvage shop has nothing to offer for handlebars.

Since I hear pix are welcome here is a "before" in the corner of the shot, and an "in-progress" reassemble.

on the mend...

Comment

Is there a bar with a bend similar to stock in black?
          I plan to replace mine.. the chrome is rough - but I'd prefer black to go w/ my black bar end mirrors that I haven't gotten yet.

Comment

Welcome to the board. I made the same mistake with my bike. I was just going to give it a quick cleaning and basically have a rat bike. Then I got the frame powdercoated. Nice shop by the way.

Comment

Got handlebars coming from Gumbo76 and an airbox on the way from Tkent02. I'm hoping to get her started next week.

So far, so good!

BTW: The handlebars shown are just to move it around

T-

Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2009, 09:31 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
              X