Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special Oil Coolant setup? Am I the only one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Oil Coolant setup? Am I the only one?

Hello All,

At the request of some of you I am posting pics of my front oil filter cover which is connected to a "mini radiator" and apparently this hasn't been seen that often... so here are some pics. Anybody else with a similar setup? I cannot be the only one now?
    Let me know what you think or if you have any questions/ideas.

Oh, there have been lots of oil coolers shown on these pages, I think what makes yours unique is the setup that uses the oil filter cover as the pickup and return.
    That is very nice.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Julien, thats pretty cool...with it being a 650 and all. Is there a drop in oil pressure from having it done like that? What is the oil filter cover off of? How did you go about the mod?

Comment

Does that cooler have a name on it? Lockhart? And does anyone recognize what that oil filter cap is from? Could this have been a kit of some sort? I'd also be interested in a pic of the copper tube inside where your filter is. Maybe you could get a shot the next time you change your oil. Thanks for the pics Julien.

Comment

Did you modify the filter cover to accept the fittings? Ted

Comment

What is behind the cover? Did you install a pic-up tube to divert the oil into the cooler from the case?
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Julien, for that setup to work, there must be some internal plumbing. I wonder how you accomplished this?

I have a similar setup on my GS1000. Somewhere around here I have some pictures...

BTW, where in da Bronx?

Comment

Guys, sorry for not replying... there is 2 threads about this... (one from a previous post with answers).

I got the bike like that... I didn't do it, it wasn't me, I promise... (he he he)
                I will take some more inside pics (I am still dealing with a leak).
                Yes there is a copper tube inside (with the filter).

Pics to come.

Comment

Gentlemen... and ladies...

I do not want to keep on double posting so here is a link to the first thread of the inside pics of the special oil-coolant setup. Also, another one of us, Tom MLC, has a similar setup and also posted some pics from his bike.
                  Enjoy....

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Be Safe.

Comment

gday mate, the oil cooler you have there is called a deraile, i put one on my gsx11et, about 27 years ago, the filter cover is a bit differant though, to mine, it uses the standard suz oilways inside the motor, but also allows oil still to get to the filter, its still on my bike, and still going strong, from memory it uses a bi- metal valve, inside the cooler to allow oil thru once it reaches temperature, regards.

Comment

Working...
                    X