Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

taken 3 weeks to get carbs rebuilt and synced!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P.S.

My rubber intake boots are in fine shape

Comment

carbs plugged

Sometimes good things come to those who wait-I had a similar situation- bike sat 5yrs in pieces under clump of trees. Dismantled carbs and cleaned, still ran stupid. bought some MOPAR Injector Clean-up and added to fuel tank -started and ran it till sure mix was in- shut off and let sit for a few days. ran better but not right yet. tried some hard deceleration(let engine slow bike by downshifting)-situation continues to improve with riding. Gone fm 40 to 50mpg- bike now runs flawlessly!
      Also, make sure by spraying carb cleaner on intakes while it's running that they are OK. Mine looked good, but when tested like this turned out to be leaking. I used a few coats of NAPA pt # 765-2527 to seal them up. Works great! Cheap fix!
      As for resources on the net? You've found one of the best right here! Otherwise, it's a good idea to have more than one manual for these bikes. I have both a Clymers and a Haynes. One is very detail oriented, the other simple and straight-forward, depending on what you need.
      The only thing gutless on the bike now is the mufflers. Anyone got some pipes for a '79 GS550E?

Comment

Carb Sync

In defense of the 9-5 mechanic (it's not me), I took my bike to a local cycle shop for the carb sync. They're not a dealer but a repair shop. I dropped it off late Saturday and the bike was done Tuesday morning. It never ran better. I spoke with the mechanic and he said before he does anything, he "reads" the plugs and then goes from there. They adjusted the air screws then did the sync. I now don't have to use anywhere's near as much choke to get it going and there is no more lean "popping".
        So for what it's worth, they did great by me.
        1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
        2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
        2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Re. Carb Sync

Alan,

Where's this shop you're talking about? I took mine in to the dealer in Canandaigua and they did a poor job.. the sync was okay, but when I got the bike home, I noticed my clip to my gas line was sitting down next to the starter case.. didn't give me a good feeling.. and I still have some 'lean popping'.. I've also tried the dealer in Spencerport for a brake caliper rebuild.. they are okay but way too busy.
          I also had carbs cleaned at Stones out by Newark.. okay once again.. nothing special.

I'm now doing just about everything myself... next job is replacing my front brakes with braided steel lines.

A very good place to order aftermarket parts, to get tires replaced, inspections etc. is the Flying Pig in rochester (www.fpcycle.com), but he doesn't do carb work.

Comment

Working...
          X