Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid suggestion: New camshafts to have cyls fire together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid suggestion: New camshafts to have cyls fire together?

I'm wondering, since the spark plugs already fire during the exhaust stroke, if a modified cam could make two cyls fire together? That would make for a completely different sound of the exhaust, more like a Harley. I'm wondering what would prevent someone doing this? I certainly don't want to do it, but it seems as though new camshafts would be all it takes.

Just an idea. Interested in sparking a conversation.

I don't think it would be nearly as smooth as it is now and although it doesn't sound terribly crazy, it would probably have a few crazy little quirks that would have to be run through.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
      I'm wondering, since the spark plugs already fire during the exhaust stroke, if a modified cam could make two cyls fire together? That would make for a completely different sound of the exhaust, more like a Harley. I'm wondering what would prevent someone doing this? I certainly don't want to do it, but it seems as though new camshafts would be all it takes.

Just an idea. Interested in sparking a conversation.
      it has been done mate. kawasaki made the big bang engine for their motogp bike but it never made production, too expensive and unreliable.
      will try and find the youtube vid. sounds absolutely awesome!
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Bike would shake like a Harley

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          Bike would shake apart like a Harley
          hee heeeee

Comment

here you go, they called it the screamer engine!

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Big bang cams for the 1000 appear every now and then. Never seen one in action but they're around. (I've got an idea the Aussies were in to this at one time - maybe someone from downunder will confirm).
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Man, if there were cams around, I might put them in. That would be awesome! Thanks for indulging my silly question.

Comment

If you want to sound like a harely, just pull number one and two spark plug wires and ride around at 1,200 rpm.
                  Oh, better pull the mufflers off too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Make your own cams, like Burt Munro, with a file!

Comment

a.) i would think this would effect cylinder scavenging and throw the a/f way off. even further, possible high pressure on the backside of the exhaust valve from opposing cylinders. more or less a tuning nightmare.

b.) how would you modify ignition timing if you chose to go this route, or would it be left as is?

c.) increased internal harmonics would play havoc on fasteners and vital structural components, let alone bearings.

from a theoretical standpoint, i dont see how this would be in anyway more efficient as the internal combustion engine relies on the spark event/combustion to push the cylinder down. 360* of rotation. also, altering the valve events in such a manner would relieve some of the cylinder pressure needed for proper burn, which leads me back to a skewed a/f. valve timing over ignition timing is HUGE.

but for sound, maybe. i dont see the bike getting out of its own way when configured in this fashion.

but, i dont know these bikes too well yet. i may be way off base. just a motorhead rattling off.

Comment

there was a aussie company that made these cams called big bang cams, might still be around. It has been talked about on here before, should come up in a search.
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

We did it before Kawasaki did, with a Honda 750 dragbike. It didn't make anymore power, so it was abandoned.

Jay
                          Speed Merchant
                          http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Here's a set that will probably fit your engine. You'd need to be careful with valve clearances though. I would expect the harmonics to out of wack too.
                            These have been for sale for some time now.
                            Billet "Big Banged" Race Cams Typical use would be in a Speedway chair engine... (Or perhaps re-ground for use in a "Postie" engine...) Ex Nevil Algie - o...
                            The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Might want to read up on the new Yamaha R1. Their solution works and while I haven't heard one run myself those that have are impressed with the sound. I think Mr. Rossi is impressed with the performance. Involves a staggered crank, I doubt the technology is backward compatible.

Comment

Working...
                              X