Looking for Technical help in MN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Technical help in MN

I've been battling an ornery 1982 gs450 since I bought it on the cheap 2 summers ago. Summer is fast approaching and I would love to get her up and running smooth ... for ONCE. When first acquired it had sat for many years and didnt run. With the help of fellow GSers I have gotten it at least in riding condition ... but I have a SEVERE idle problem when the bike isnt moving. I've replated intake boots and o-rings on the engine side, and new boots on the air box side. I had the carbs dipped and re-built last summer ... but the guy couldnt fix the idle problem.

Anyone from MN willing to lend a helping hand, one in which is mechanicaly inclined?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Trying to reach out before lighting the bike on fire...

Regards,
    dubs

Okay, what is your severe idle problem?

Racing and rising?

Stumbling and stalling?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If the bike is moving, it runs great ... as soon as I am stopped at a stop light the RPMs skyrocket to 4-5k RPMs. I 'controlled' this last summer by letting the clutch out a bit while holding the brake to drive the RPMs down.

Comment

Ahhhhh........ Idle adjustment ?
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Don't believe so. When the bike is warm I have it dialed in to roughly 1500 RPMs ... but once it heats up the idle adjustment has minimal to zero impact on the idle skyrocketing.

Comment

Air leak would be my guess. Try richening up the idle circuit with the mixture screws.

Comment

Originally posted by bdub416 View Post
              I've been battling an ornery 1982 gs450 since I bought it on the cheap 2 summers ago. Summer is fast approaching and I would love to get her up and running smooth ... for ONCE. When first acquired it had sat for many years and didnt run. With the help of fellow GSers I have gotten it at least in riding condition ... but I have a SEVERE idle problem when the bike isnt moving. I've replated intake boots and o-rings on the engine side, and new boots on the air box side. I had the carbs dipped and re-built last summer ... but the guy couldnt fix the idle problem.

Anyone from MN willing to lend a helping hand, one in which is mechanicaly inclined?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Trying to reach out before lighting the bike on fire...

Regards,
              dubs

Where are you?
              and you got the intake boot O-rings from here www.cycleorings.com? and you said a guy rebuilt them for you? how good of a job did he do? it is usually best to do it your self so then you know they were done right.

Let me know where you are cause I could maybe come out and help. I have rebuilt several bikes and had this same problem so I can maybe help.

Good luck
              Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                Air leak would be my guess. Try richening up the idle circuit with the mixture screws.
                BINGO.

The next time the bike rpm's abruptly rise, flip the choke on. If the engine idles back down quickly and still runs clean, you have an air leak.

Comment

Nison ... I sent you a PM, hope you can help!

Road Clam ... I've never heard that 'test' before, I'll check it out tonight and let you know what happens

Thanks guys!

Comment

What condition/material is your filter made from? Sounds lean to me as well.

Comment

I bought a new OEM filter from bikebandit last summer.

Comment

Working...
                      X