Exhaust removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust removal

I am getting ready to replace my exhaust on the 550. I've searched for exhaust removal and most posts are a couple of years old. I would like to remove the bolts without breaking any off. What is the best method? I am in no hurry just want to do it without breaking any.

use pb blaster and let them soak over night. i replace the ones on the 550 i had. i just soaked them in that stuff over night and they came right out.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
      use pb blaster and let them soak over night. i replace the ones on the 550 i had. i just soaked them in that stuff over night and they came right out.
      definately use PB Blaster, but let the bolts sit for a WEEK, not just overnight. It's a high probability that you will break a bolt.

I let my bolts sit for a week, spraying PB like every other day, I also used lots of propane heat when I finally extracted my bolts. Mine all came out without too much fuss...

Comment

The key is to not force the bolts. Overnight soak is a reasonable amount of time, but when you go to remove the bolts, don't force anything. Turn the bolt to remove but if it's binding, stop and hit the bolt with the sauce again and give it a little more time. Some times it even helps to tighten the bolt slightly; you need movement one way or another. Once the bolt moves, hit it with more spray and work the bolt back and forth until it starts to come loose. Again, don't force anything. Even once the bolt starts to move, it will still break off if you don't take your time.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

To add a tiny bit to Nessim's advice, turn it, say, 10 degrees out, and 8 degrees in, and repeat. There's corrosion between the threads. The rust and aluminum oxide and other stuff binds. Twisting the bolt slowly back and forth, with a lot of oil, can mash that stuff down so that it doesn't bind as much. Take the time now. If you rush it now, you'll spend the time in drilling out the broken bolts, and that will take a lot longer.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Thanks I have them soaked with pb blaster, probably try to see what happens in a couple of days. I'll be taking my time. I have my fingers crossed. I have purchased a non running parts bike so I have to do this on two sets of exhaust bolts.

Comment

OK i've got the bolts out do I need to replace the gaskets or can I just put on the new exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Black 550 L View Post
                OK i've got the bolts out do I need to replace the gaskets or can I just put on the new exhaust.
                To do it right & to insure no exhaust leaks, replace the seals...
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Chances are the new exhaust and the old gaskets aren't going to make a perfect seal, but if you don't mind investing the time I suppose it can't hurt to try. On the other hand, if the cost isn't excessive I personally wouldn't bother with the old gaskets...

Regards,

Comment

Thanks I'll get a new set of seals.

Comment

Use anti-seize (a type recommended for high temperatures) when you reassemble, to reduce the chance of bolts freezing to the head.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Sounds good on the anti seize. What should the bolts be torqued to.

Comment

Working...
                        X