82 1100GL Fork ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100GL Fork ?s

Well I have my forks assembled and everything is ready to go back but I have three questions.

1. How much oil does the fork take? My manual has the info for everything except my bike.

2. How much spring should I cut off/ How big of a spacer should i make? Does anyone have pics of their spacer setup?

3. Do I leave the metal spacer or dump it?

I weigh 230 and my bike has full vetter touring gear so im gonna have about 100 pounds extra with me at all times.

Hi Mr. lordcannon88,

I can help with only part of your inquiry. If you check the GS1100GL Owners manual available from my website, you'll see on page 63 (page 35 of the PDF document) that the fork oil capacity is 245ml (8.28 US oz.).

As for how much to trim your springs and spacer size, it may take some experimentation. You'll want to configure your "sag" to be no more than 25% of your fork travel. The "sag" is the difference between the forks fully extended and the forks with you sitting on the bike. If you cut the springs you'll need longer spacers. It's best to have a single piece so you may not need the existing spacers any longer. Thanks for listening. I hope I haven't wasted your time.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Why do you want to cut the spring ??? You need a set of Progressive fork springs, Spacer should stick up out of the forks about 1-1.5 inches when fully extended

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        Why do you want to cut the spring ??? You need a set of Progressive fork springs, Spacer should stick up out of the forks about 1-1.5 inches when fully extended

prog springs cost money which i do not have. i have spent god knows what on this damn bike. i have seen discussions of people saying to cut off sev inches of spring and add a spacer in place of the missing spring to stiffen up the front end. my front end was very floppy beforehand.

Comment

Here is a post about cutting the fork springs. You might find some good info in there.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Working...
          X