Rebuilding the 650 Kat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding the 650 Kat

Okay, so I've got the baby Kat home. Does 'baby' make it a kitten???

Anyhoo, I've taken numerous pics before I begin anything. The bike is generally in very good shape and is 100% complete (or close enough anyway). I'm going to strip it to bits and repaint the entire thing. The rear shaft needs work and it needs tyres etc anyway. The lump will remain intact providing it doesn't have any nasty noises when I get it running. The PO had it running a week ago (apparently) and offered to get it running for me when I picked it up. I didn't worry because the battery is rooted (Aussie slang) and it would have taken too long.

I should have it running in the next week or so and once I've heard it fire I'll pull it apart. I'm going to take my time with this since these aren't a very common bike anymore. I'll keep this thread going as I progress.

Here's the obligatory (before) pics -

This is her as she sits ATM. Not bad condition but she needs some love.

The 'lump' needs a good clean up. Not sure if I'll go for clean look or repainted yet. Either way it will be stripped of black paint and put through the blasting cabinet. I'll decide once it's stripped.

Oh yeah, when looking at the pics, keep in mind that we use the proper date system down here. You know, one that's in chronological order - dd/mm/yyyy. LOL

I never realised before that these things came out with a factory fitted oil cooler. Never had one of them before. Do they need special maintenance??

Comment

I can't get it to spin, even with a new battery. I suspect this switch is just as corroded on the inside, stopping all current getting through. The master cyclinder looks to be junk. I'll clean it all up and see what I can salvage.

Comment

I'm excited to see your 'baby kat' come together. at least yours is assembled.

My baby kat came like this with the rest in cardboard boxes, plastic bags, or missing all together.

Comment

Nice looking bike, looking forward to the updates as they are available.

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
          Oh yeah, when looking at the pics, keep in mind that we use the proper date system down here. You know, one that's in chronological order - dd/mm/yyyy. LOL
          Not only are you guys "down under", but you do things backward, too.
          "Proper chronological order" actually goes from least precise to most precise. That means that the proper order would be:
          Year, Month, Day, Hour, Minute, Second.

I have been using this system for years, especially when using dates to organize folders on the computer. Since the computer alphabetizes folders, it then keeps all of the same-year stuff together, then sorts by month within that year, etc. Otherwise, (using the example of your pictures) you would have everything from the third day of every month grouped together, which would then be sorted by month, then finally the year.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I knew someone would take the bait.

You can get the computer to sort by whatever method you want. All I have to do is 'sort by date taken' , 'sort by date saved' , 'sort by date uploaded' etc and it works fine.

mm/dd/yyyy just never seems to make sense to anyone but Americans but we know how you guys love to be different. LOL

btw - I am of course just kiddin' around.

Comment

looking forward to reading this thread, zooks, good on ya!
              GS850GT

Comment

..... but we know how you guys love to be different......
                Well there's the pot calling the kettle black....since when were Aussies known for complying with anything.....

As per everyone else, keep the updates coming as you get on - looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks guys.

As far as 'complying' is concerned - well this isn't about us Aussies, it's about harassing the Yanks for their weird ways.

Anyhoo, back on topic. I plan to get the bike into my workshop tomorrow (need to tidy a bit first) and then see if we can fire the beasty up. I just want (need) to hear it run before I strip it down. If I know the motor is good I can pull it out in one piece and just do the carbs etc. However, if I find that it sounds like a concrete mixer I'll pull it apart whilst it's out and up on the bench.

First job, pull the start switch apart and see if we have 'lectricity running through there.

Comment

Hey Zooks, nice project there. If the front master turns out pants, i have a decent "looking" one here, not tested but it's yours if you want it. Also, i have a set of original bars, black but rubbed in places. Got a few other bits too but it looks mostly there from the pics. All yours if you want em. Just come n collect whenever you want, hahahahahah. I don't mind sorting post out if you can't make it!

Comment

I'd love to come over and ride some of those twisty country roads that you have over there.

Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2009, 07:47 AM.

Comment

I can't get it to spin, even with a new battery. I suspect this switch is just as corroded on the inside, stopping all current getting through. The master cyclinder looks to be junk. I'll clean it all up and see what I can salvage.
                        I'd try flippin the switch to "RUN".....

And, BTW....I date everything with this format "4 Apr 09"

That's how I was taught in the service...
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Maybe I'll try 'RUN' and see what happens.

smart arse

Comment

I actually prefer the American way (for once), because it's how you say it, I never say "the fourth of April nineteen ninety five", I say April fourth blah blah", so I like to write it that way. Of course in Canada that just messes everyone up for the first 12 days of every month...

Comment

I'd love to come over and ride some of those twisty country roads that you have over there.

I could never figure out how you guys ride at all, being upside down and all-don't you get dizzy?

Comment

Working...
                              X