Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I has piston ring question

Genuine Suzuki rings.

1. There is a polished face one that is packaged second. Is this indeed the second ring? The top one has a black face?

2. The service limit in the book for ring gap is .7 mm which is way too big for a little 2 inch bore, but that is all the book gives me. The stock rings that came out are at .25 mm top, and .4 mm second. Anyone have any experience here? Recommendations?

Can we please finally all convert to the metric system.

I'd like to help you but you didn't mention what kind of bike you have.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have Suzuki motorcycle question.

What bike are you working on?

Sounds redundant because you are on a GS board, but different bikes have different specs.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry. DeeeRRRRR!!!

82' gs 550

Comment

Thanks.

Once again, standard request for all 'newbies' ... look in the upper left corner of your screen. Under the big GS logo, you will see information showing what forum you are in. Just below that are the words "User CP". That stands for "User Control Panel". Click on that, then look in the third area on the left side, you will see a link called "Edit Signature". Click on that, then create a sig line that at least says "82 550". Feel free to be more elaborate if you wish. Press the "Preview Signature" button at the bottom to make sure it looks right. Save it by clicking on the "Save Signature" button at the bottom. Now you won't have to remember to add that little bit of info when you ask questions.

Do you have a manual for your bike? If you don't, you can go to BassCliff's site and get a copy of the factory manual. (<-- Click the link.) On pages 92 and 93 of that pdf manual it talks about piston rings. It give end gap for free rings and rings in the cylinder bore. It also gives thickness of rings, but nowhere does it mention color. The top ring should be 0.975 - 0.990 mm thick, the second ring should be 1.170 - 1.190 mm thick, so it should be relatively easy to tell them apart, regardless of color.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and didn't you hear? We officially converted to the metric system over 30 years ago.
          It's just that the sign makers can't keep up with the demand and everything is still shown in Imperial measurements.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks Steve.

I may be a n00b here, but not to the interwebs, and certainly not the VB forum format. I loaded a new sig just so I can fit in here.

Here is page 93.

It only gives a service spec, not much help there. The free end gap makes no sense, and thus I don't care what it is.

Both rings measure 1.19 in thickness. There is no difference except the face coloring of the ring.

I remember in the third grade we were "officially" going to change to the metric system...what happened to that?

Comment

Originally posted by makr View Post
              The free end gap makes no sense, and thus I don't care what it is.

Both rings measure 1.19 in thickness. There is no difference except the face coloring of the ring.
              Too bad the free end gap makes no sense, because ... well ... it works.

I just got done re-ringing an '81 1100E, so I just had the opportunity to check this. As the rings age and wear, there is not as much outward tension. The rings I took out of the 1100 only had about 4-5 mm free end gap. The new ones were almost 8.

I don't know what to say about both rings being the same thickness, though, I can only look in the book and make suggestions there. Is the top ring groove wide enough to handle the 1.19 ring?

And thanks for the new sig.
              (sorry 'bout the Yamahas, though )

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

I guess I dont understand why you would need measure new ring free end gap, it is what it is. If it makes any difference one measures .28, and the other .29 free. That is in inches.

They are the right thickness. Same as the ones that came out.

On your 1100, did the rings come in the package in the right order?

I also have a BMW if that helps.

Comment

Please see Steve's post and click on his link to the OEM Manual.

Page 3-72 (PDF pg 122) indicates that the top ring has a chrome face and the second ring does not. The face of the 1st and 2nd rings also have a different profile, so it is important to get 'em right.

Also, the "N" imprinted on the end of both rings should be facing toward the top of the piston when the rings are installed.

Lots of good info in the OEM manual.

Tomcat

Comment

It probably wouldn't have enough rings.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks Tomcat. Just what I needed. I will set the gap as the ones that came out and call it good. My rings have "t"s stamped on them. :dunno

The page I posted is from the OEM manual.

The BMW is a three cylinder, so you are right.

Comment

that biatch is all back together.

This is wut I decided.

The black faced ring was packaged on the top in every box. The black ring had .2 mm gap. the polished face one had .25 mm gap. So if you figure that normal industry standard of .004 per inch of bore for a top ring, and .005 for the second, it was about right, and made sense the way they were packaged. I opened them up just a little bit because it is an air cooled engine. That is all.

If it runs backwards I will know it was the wrong decision.

Comment

On your 1100, did the rings come in the package in the right order?
                          I suppose they did. All the rings for cylinder 1 were in one blister pack, all the rings for cylinder 2 were in another blister pack, etc.
                          I had to sort them out, but they matched the diagrams and descriptions in the manual, so I thought nothing of it.

Only if it has no more than two wheels.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          It probably wouldn't have enough rings.
                          I don't know of any 3-cylinder BMW cars, so it must have just enough rings.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

that biatch is all back together.

This is wut I decided.

The black faced ring was packaged on the top in every box. The black ring had .2 mm gap. the polished face one had .25 mm gap. So if you figure that normal industry standard of .004 per inch of bore for a top ring, and .005 for the second, it was about right, and made sense the way they were packaged. I opened them up just a little bit because it is an air cooled engine. That is all.

The factory Suzuki service manual is clear: The top ring is chrome plated and the second ring is not. The rings have a different shape. The ring end gaps are supposed to be the same for both the top ring and second ring.

The top ring runs hotter than the second ring thus it doesn't make sense to have more clearance on the second ring. Also, the top ring is under more load which is why it's chrome plated - to increase it's life due to the extreme pressure.

Sounds like you should have listened to those people trying to help you.

Last edited by Nessism; 04-05-2009, 09:09 PM.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Only if it has no more than two wheels.

I have a couple of the four wheel versions also.

Comment

Working...
                              X