i all but give up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i all but give up

Ok heres what i got. just adjusted the valves on her, cleaned the carb( new orings ) . try starting her so that i can get the carbs synced but all she does is start for a second backfire and die. Last year when i bought her she started up fine just she would hesitate and die when you came to a stop. This is driving me nuts. all i want to do is go out and enjoy the fresh open air of the roads but she is being a stubborn bi@ch. any thoughts. i dont know much about working on bikes, this may be my down fall.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

i only have 2 plug wires. i got the one on the right if your sitting on the bike on the right plug and the one on the left on the left plug. all the clearances came out good per steves valve sheet.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

You were too quick for me!! I forgot that bike was a 2 banger.

I assume you dis-assembled the carbs completely & such when you dipped them.

How confident are you the valve adjust was performed correctly?
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

on a scale of 1 to 10 5 lol.
        I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

well, if we assume the carbs have been cleaned & rebuilt correctly, and the plug wires are intact & on the right plugs, then I would question the valve adjust next.

Mis-adjusted valves could certainly make your bike run (or not) as you have described...

If it were me, I would pull the valve cover off & double check the clearances again. Remember it has to be stone cold for accurate readings.

What positions were the cams in when you measured the clearances & what were they when you first measured them??

Don't give up!
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

With the limited info that you've given it sounds like a timing issue on the valves with the popping and banging.

I've seen twins valve timing be timmed 180 degree's out before, some opening correctly and other completely wrong.

Comment

Blah, don't give up man. With the help of the good folks on this forum, and your tools..you'll have that bike roaring like a full grown lion before long.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2009, 03:07 AM.

Comment

gday mate, try switching the plug leads around first, as u may have mixed them up, regards.

Comment

Have you tried a set of new plugs?

Comment

Dying at stops is your idle circuit in the carb. I know you cleaned the carbs but the idle circuit may have gotten clogged or your pilot jets may be too small.

Same thing happened to me, not ruling out ignition issues but it's worth to check.

Comment

Just for clarification. did you fully disassemble the carbs and soak them per the carb rebuild instructions? did you removes the idle mixture screws when doing the cleaning (they would have been caped from the factory as your bike is post 1979) and on reassembly where did you set the idle mixture screw adjustment?

Comment

She's running now. Just waiting till tomorrow when it is warmer out to sync the carbs. I have to do all my work under a car port and this crazy OHIO weather is back in the 30 degree mark. lol
                        I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
                          She's running now. Just waiting till tomorrow when it is warmer out to sync the carbs. I have to do all my work under a car port and this crazy OHIO weather is back in the 30 degree mark. lol
                          So what changed from your first post when the bike wasn't running, to now when it is??

We have given you lots of hints & advice & it would be nice to know what worked or didn't...

mike
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

well i went back through and re-adjusted my shims. then i noticed that when i hooked up my throttle cable it was way out of adjustment. it was as if i had the idle screw set to far. i re-adjusted the throttle cable and she fired right up. think i may still need to tweek the fuel mixture screws a bit, but she actually starts. i did hook up the carb sync tool to her just before it got dark on me. she really dont seem to be out to much.i was really going nuts when it wouldnt start but when she eventually fired up i was doing the happy dance in my driveway lol. thanks guys
                            I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

I went the other way when I did mine. Had the idle speed too high and she shot to 5K upon ignition. I twiddled with it for a bit until I thought about what I had worked on and it dawned on me I might need to adjust the idle speed.

Another mistake is not giving the carbs a chance to fill back up. It actually takes a minute or so for empty carbs and passages to fill with gas after a rebuild. Some guys don't go to PRI and can't get her started.

take the air screws down until they bottom, don't force anything/ Then back them out until it idles faster. Then go about 1/8 turn back in. Check it again after a ride when it is good and warm.
                              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                              X