83 GS550E Speedo not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS550E Speedo not working

I just noticed that my speedo isnt working on my 83 GS550E. I am assuming the cable has something wrong with it. My question is, anyone have a diagram on where the cable goes from the instrument cluster? Also, my blinkers only blink once in a while... when they dont, they just stay illuminated. That I'm assuming is the flashing unit. Where can I find the flasher relay?
    Thanks in advance.

kenny

The flasher unit is under the seat near the ignitor unit ( metal box ) the flasher if original is square plastic however it may have been replaced with a two wire unit which may be incorrect and round metal.

The parts fische on bikebandit.com may have what you are looking for if you don't already have the manual.

Just double check that your old cable is tight on both ends and that it is indeed working by attaching one end to a drill, you may have to run the drill in reverse to see the speedometer working. Do this before taking aprt the guage housing.

Hope this helps

Comment

scratch the speedo problem. I actually got in there an followed the cable (a lot easier than i thought it would be) and turns out my cable was broken. So now I just gotta get a new cable. I am about to go look for the flasher unit and see what I've got there. Will a dealer have the cable in stock or will it usually have to be ordered. Anything special I should ask for?

Comment

For old bikes a dealer will order it and it should arrive in 5 business days free shipping, however their prices are a little high, double check their prices with bikebandit.com including the shipping and make your choice.

Nothing special to ask for they will look it up on the same parts fiche as bikebandit but the part numbers may be different, just make sure you get the correct year and model and it should be easy.

This cable is easy to put on at the wheel a little tricky from lack of space under the speedo so be careful not to force it or strip the threads.

Comment

i actually took the old one off when I had the front fairing off... it made it a piece of cake. Another quick question, is the front brake lever supposed to activate the brake lights on the 83's?? I looked quick, and didnt notice any electrical connection to it that would signal the taillight but I want to make sure before I try to go get it inspected. And it was the flasher relay... im going to pick up a universal from my auto parts dealer and see if it works before I try ordering one online. They should be the same basic concept, so I dont see why it wouldnt work.
          Thanks again.

kenny

Comment

Originally posted by klarowe View Post
            i actually took the old one off when I had the front fairing off... it made it a piece of cake. Another quick question, is the front brake lever supposed to activate the brake lights on the 83's?? I looked quick, and didnt notice any electrical connection to it that would signal the taillight but I want to make sure before I try to go get it inspected. And it was the flasher relay... im going to pick up a universal from my auto parts dealer and see if it works before I try ordering one online. They should be the same basic concept, so I dont see why it wouldnt work.
            Thanks again.

kenny
            Cool

The front brake lever does NOT operate the rear signal light.

The REAR brake pedal does so don't worry about wires there.

Get a "electronic" flasher this way if you ever decide to upgrade to LED signal lights it will work without having to buy another relay.

Don't order it online it's way too expensive, auto zone or any auto parts place should have them for between $6.00 and $12.00

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post
              Cool

The front brake lever does NOT operate the rear signal light.

The REAR brake pedal does so don't worry about wires there.

Get a "electronic" flasher this way if you ever decide to upgrade to LED signal lights it will work without having to buy another relay.

Don't order it online it's way too expensive, auto zone or any auto parts place should have them for between $6.00 and $12.00
              Awesome... thats exactly what I wanted to hear.. lol. Well I'll be stopping off at Advance Auto on my way home from work, and I ordered the speedo cable off bikebandit ($18 was not bad... ebay was just as much.. lol). Thanks again for all the help... it was GREATLY appreciated.

Comment

I just noticed that my speedo isnt working on my 83 GS550E. I am assuming the cable has something wrong with it. My question is, anyone have a diagram on where the cable goes from the instrument cluster? Also, my blinkers only blink once in a while... when they dont, they just stay illuminated. That I'm assuming is the flashing unit. Where can I find the flasher relay?
                Thanks in advance.

kenny
                Could be a short to the signal itself. If the bulb is burned out, or a short in the wire to signal (having the same effect as burned out) they won't flash.

Comment

Awesome... thats exactly what I wanted to hear.. lol. Well I'll be stopping off at Advance Auto on my way home from work, and I ordered the speedo cable off bikebandit ($18 was not bad... ebay was just as much.. lol). Thanks again for all the help... it was GREATLY appreciated.
                  Glad to help let us know how it goes!

Comment

Working...
                  X