shim clearance GS1000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shim clearance GS1000E

Finally took some measurements and found a couple.3 & 2 cylinders had .015 mm cearance.Too loose? I am scheduled for a triple bypass monday,have to wait for the lood thinners to pass through the system,so it may not get done for COUPLE of weeks.Also the one of the sliders on the electronic ignition appears to be stuck inside the housing.Should they both be following the little cam?

0.015 mm? You sure you have the right amount of zeroes in there? Proper clearance is 0.03 to 0.05 mm and 0.015 is way too tight, not loose.
    If, by chance, you mean 0.15 mm, yes, it is loose. You would have to drop about 5 shim sizes to get it close.
    Also, please make sure you are talking MM, not INCHES. The smallest feeler on many sets is 0.015 INCH, which is about 0.03 MM.
    Look closely, don't confuse yourself.

Sliders on the electronic ignition? Not aware of any such thing.
    Maybe you are talking about the magnetic pickups on the right end of the crank? Neither one should ever touch the cam.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

if you can still turn the bucket under the shim when you are checking lash it is ok to run.

the tight valve lash spec is to avoid noise!! I measure in inches not METRIC

I like .004 inch ~ .007 inch getting them down to .002 and .003 is just trying to make it quieter and not performance/efficiency related

I'd rather hear them tick all day long than smell a burnt non sealing valve and we ALL have seen how many burnt valves have been pictured tons of them..

run them a bit loose and the heat is transferred back into the engine for a longer period of time per revolution.keeping the valve cooler in the long run.
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

We also have to keep in mind ... what we measure as valve clearance is what it is at about 70 degrees.
        What is the actual clearance at 200 degrees, or whatever the temps are in the head?

I am sure that with all the different rates of expansion for all the parts involved, the actual running clearance is considerably more. The designers and engineers just had to get stuff arranged so that there would be some clearance left at 'room temperature' so that we could actually have some space to measure.

And yeah, I like to run my valves on the loose side of specs, too.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Also, please make sure you are talking MM, not INCHES. The smallest feeler on many sets is 0.015 INCH, which is about 0.03 MM.
          Look closely, don't confuse yourself.

Too many numbers in this thread, I assume you ment to say .0015"
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

shimming GS1000E

In for a break after doing one side of GS.NOW for other news,how does one change shims from bucket to bucket if the motor should not be rotated with a shim out?The good news is that this zip tie method does work ,the bad news is many lessons learned in the past were forgotten only to resurface now.For example,never use your bikes seat as a holder,beer coffee cigarett etc ,as they will be forgotten and mishaps will occur, # 2 ,no job is truly a one man operation unless it is hitting the start button or filling with fuel, #3 the possibility of something falling and rolling away is directly proportional to the weight of objects nearby that they invariably roll under, #4 always take two sets of eyeglasses ,a spare to wear to find the ones you lost in your shirt pocket, #5 take your meds AFTER the job is over.There are more but they probably go into another discussion.
            And as for the slider in the electronic ignition assy,put my glasses on and it was the flat thingie sticking out of the rotating shaft.Now does ayone know how much gap should be between the two?Might as well check that too while I'm in there.ya'll have been so patient and helpful it borders on unbelievable.THANK YOU!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X