good news!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good news!

Thanks to all the help in this forum I finally have the bike running and derivable. I still need to patch up a few things before I register it but it's rideable now.

I am looking into a new air filter, what do you guys think of these pods? Will the 54mm fit on my 79 gs850?

Not sure if those are the right size for your VM carbs, but they look nice and the price is certainly attractive.

If you get them, be aware that you will have to spend a bunch of money for jets or jetting kits, not to mention countless hours of fiddling with the carbs to get them just right.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by syren View Post
      Thanks to all the help in this forum I finally have the bike running and derivable. I still need to patch up a few things before I register it but it's rideable now.

I am looking into a new air filter, what do you guys think of these pods? Will the 54mm fit on my 79 gs850?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-54M...ht_3705wt_1026
      So what did you do to overcome your previous problems?

As Steve says, pods are fine if you want your bike in the garage while you fiddle with it.

Now that, presumably, you've properly cleaned and set your carbs you're good for another 10 years or so.
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have done a complete cleaning of the carbs (new oring all over) did a bench adjust on them but the bike still wouldn't fire up. I was able to adjust them some more to get the bike to idle without the choke. While it was running i adjusted the idle screw and the choke cable to lower the rev idle. I then adjust the air screws a little more then it would finally throttle without dying. I perfected them a little bit more by ear then it would actually drive. I need to get my hands on a carb tuner now to fine tune them, I may just bring them to a shop to have them tuned though to save me the hassle or looking to a tuner or buying one for 100 bucks.

I was planning on putting the Pods on then bringing it in for them to be tuned. What do you guys think? I'm also thinking about power coating the bike a flat or wrinkle black

Comment

I need to get my hands on a carb tuner now to fine tune them, I may just bring them to a shop to have them tuned though to save me the hassle or looking to a tuner or buying one for 100 bucks.
          Any idea what a shop will charge you to "tune" them? Yep, probably close to $100. And that's if they even let your bike through the door. Many shops have a 10-year-old policy. Anythng older than that will not be worked on, mostly because of the possibility of breadking bolts and stuff like that.

If you buy the best gauge out there (Morgan Carbtune), it will cost you 58 British Pounds. At today's rate, that's $85.35. That price is DELIVERED, from England. And you will get to keep the gauge to use again (and again).

You have gone through all those steps to get the carbs to where it will run somewhat correctly now, and you want to go through all that ... and MORE ... just for the pleasure of adding pod filters? Were you hoping to add something in the way of performance with the pods? Unless they specify that they are cleanable and reusable (like K&N), consider these to be disposable filters. When they get dirty, you have to toss them and get new ones. Unless you get exact duplicates, you may have to go through the jetting check routine again. Just adding pod filters won't add a bunch of power. It will add a bit of noise that you have to listen to while riding. Some have commented that there were problems while riding in heavy winds or in the rain.

If this is your cup of tea, go for it. Just didn't want you to jump in with high hopes, just to have them dashed to pieces.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My bike came with pods. What an %$#@ing nightmare. If you are going to go pods go K&N and buy the dynojet kit appropriate for those modifications. My bike is still not perfect and I doubt it ever will until I go back to stock air box and exhaust. (4-1 exhaust is crap too!)

Comment

Here is another recent thread of someone who is amazed at how good the stock airbox is

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

I have been running those style pods for the last year or so with no problems I just bought a new set, probably could have cleaned the old ones but for the money I just bought new ones.
                I run K&N in all my other bikes, quads, cars etc. I just liked the look of those better.
                But the K&Ns are probably a better filter.
                I am also running a Kerker 4 into one, aside from a little cold start problem (I think electrical) the bike runs great.
                I would never go back to the cumbersome restrictive no performance stock set up. Once you are tuned in you are good to go. If you know how to tune carbs its not that big of a deal.
                Either way good to hear your ready to get on the road.

Comment

Hmm, well now I will have to think about getting the pod filters but getting the carb tuner I guess would be a better move. I wanted to get the pods because my air box isn't in great condition as far as the sealing on it. The gasket on it seems kind of worn down so I was thinking the pods would be a good idea since it doesnt need a box but I guess I will have to rethink that idea. Any suggestions on the air box?

Comment

Just remember the air box MUST be sealed properly for the bike to run like it should

Comment

Hmm, well now I will have to think about getting the pod filters but getting the carb tuner I guess would be a better move. I wanted to get the pods because my air box isn't in great condition as far as the sealing on it. The gasket on it seems kind of worn down so I was thinking the pods would be a good idea since it doesnt need a box but I guess I will have to rethink that idea. Any suggestions on the air box?
                      Weatherstripping from Home Depot for a few bucks does the job.

Lots of posts on leaky airboxes, do a Search
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                      X