tire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire size

What is the widest rear tire I can fit under my 79 GS1000E? I am having trouble matching a front tire I bought last fall---discontinued--and am looking for alternitives. I removed a 130/90-17. Is a 150 70 17 to wide?

Originally posted by stain View Post
    I removed a 130/90-17. Is a 150 70 17 to wide?
    Yes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

What is the widest rear tire I can fit under my 79 GS1000E? I am having trouble matching a front tire I bought last fall---discontinued--and am looking for alternitives. I removed a 130/90-17. Is a 150 70 17 to wide?
      unless you want to have an unsafe ride with a tire that will go to crap very fast you should stick with the 130 if you get a 130 with a good compound you will handle better than 150 with a crappy to ok compound. dont go bigger

Jake.

Comment

I am not really looking for the biggest tire availible, just trying to choose from/locate what is left of the old stock of the tire I am looking for.
        I can't seem to locate a 130/70-17 but have found a few 150/70 17. Looks like I might have to buy a new battlax if I can't find the cheng shin c915 that I am looking for

Comment

Hi,

Using less than a 90 profile tire will give you less ground clearance. I would strongly encourage you to order up the right tire.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I am not really looking for the biggest tire availible, just trying to choose from/locate what is left of the old stock of the tire I am looking for.
            I can't seem to locate a 130/70-17 but have found a few 150/70 17. Looks like I might have to buy a new battlax if I can't find the cheng shin c915 that I am looking for
            Remeber the 90 or the side wall number is a % of the width 130 or 150 so if you are to change widths (witch I dont suggest) you need to change the side wall % as well.

Jake

Comment

No c915, but these guys have quite a few different choices in your size.

Comment

Try here prices look pretty good. I'm looking at the Bridgestone S11, $142 shipped to my door..http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/
                sigpic

1979 GS1000E
                1982 GS1100GL
                2008 Bandit1250S

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/jsrose-gs/

Comment

Is a 130 the factory tire size? Just because it came off the bike doesn't make it right. Stick with factory sizes. If it's a 130 use it, if it's a 120 go with that. Putting wider tires on the same rims will cause the bike to feel like it's falling into corners. It's not a pleasant feeling.

Comment

Working...
                  X