Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you maintain black painted engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you maintain black painted engines?

Bike in question is FJ1200

Cylinder paint of course dulls over time and then flakes off, a little more each year. Do spraycan touch ups (without any disassembly) work? What about surface preparation before spraying?

Then there's the engine cases... the nice gloss has dulled, has an almost oxydized look to it. Anything restore it to near new appearence?
    Have tried WD-40 (no great improvement) Have tried ArmourAll (worked great when the paint was newer, no longer gets rid of the dull, crappy look)

Figured if anybody knew, you guys would. THIS is why I've always preferred silver engines. ('82 1100E)

Thanks for input. Didn't know whether to post this here or "Appearance"

Best thing to do with that FJ is sell it and purchase a GS1150ES. Problem solved.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As with most paint jobs, prep is everything. However, when I painted my wife's bike, I just sprayed what I could with carb cleaner, used a toothbrush to get into the corners, then sprayed away. Engine in frame, exhaust pipes attached and masked off. Engine side covers (clutch, ignnition, stator, etc.) were removed for polishing, so they did not need masking. After 3 years, there are some spots that need to be touched up, but I'll just clean a bit and spray some more.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

S100 engine brightener;

Unbelievable results on dull black finishes - even if the paint is 'chalky'.

Comment

Steve: Those covers look great,did you polish them yourself or send them out?

1978 GS1000C
          1979 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000E
          2004 Roadstar

Comment

Spraying WD 40 on a black engine, then running it to bake it on, really makes the engine quite shiny. It will also clean up easier after a rain storm, or when it gets dirty.

Comment

I have tried the S100 and it helped ...some. THE BEST thing I have used to bring back the shiny satin look of the factory black engine paint is silcone spray for rubber. Don't do this until the re-painting is finished. It absolutely brings back the new black finish.

Terry
              1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

A second vote for S-100 Engine Brightner. Great stuff, and it lasts through several washings. Works great on the black plastic stuff, too.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  As with most paint jobs, prep is everything. However, when I painted my wife's bike, I just sprayed what I could with carb cleaner, used a toothbrush to get into the corners, then sprayed away. Engine in frame, exhaust pipes attached and masked off. Engine side covers (clutch, ignnition, stator, etc.) were removed for polishing, so they did not need masking. After 3 years, there are some spots that need to be touched up, but I'll just clean a bit and spray some more.

wow Steve that thing is really nice I like it great job.

Comment

Working...
                  X