Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stator cover removal, how much oil loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator cover removal, how much oil loss?

I want to remove the stator cover on a GS1000L for polishing. Does the stator live in a oil bath or will I just lose a little as I pull the cover off?

Is there anything I need to know about pulling this that will make it easier to do?

Sorry for the noob question but I've never pulled one of these and wanted to find out first.

Thanks,

Jim
    GS Score Card
    4-400 Series GS's
    3-500 Series
    1-600 Series
    1-700 Series
    4-800 Series
    1-1000 Series
    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
    sigpic

I think you need to drain the oil first.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Maybe a couple of tablespoons or so
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

From my experience in pulling the stator cover off, you can only lose about 3-4 qts of oil after pulling the cover.

That being said, I would suggest draining the oil. In the first 300 miles i put on my bike, I changed the oil 5 times (three of which were due to pulling the stator cover off), it doesn't hurt anything but the wallet (and a few quarts of oil isn't gonna break most people's banks).

My only tips are to set the bolts to the side, arranged as they came off, b/c (at least on my 1100) the bolts are differing lengths, and I find it better to just leave them in the right order than to figure it out later.

Also, have a new gasket ready (or buy some gasket-in-a-tube stuff). b/c your stator case won't seal with just the bolts being tightened, and I don't trust old gaskets a second time around.

One more little tip:
        the rotor is a magnet, and the case you're pulling likes magnets, so when everything's detached, you'll hafta pull kinda hard, to where it'll feel like something's still attached. I suggest having somethign soft and handy to tap the case with while pulling it off (And DON'T pry on the case with that handy flat screwdriver unless you wanna end up buying a new cover from eBay)

One additional more little tip:
        be sure that the stator wires have enough slack to get the cover out of the way, b/c the stator is mounted to the case, and as such, so are the wires.

Comment

lean the bike over onto something on the right side, the oil goes that way... lol

i have done this many times and you can pull the cover without losing any oil or having to drain it and refill it.

Comment

Lean bike on right side if new oil in.
            McLoud
            '79 GS850
            `98 GSF1200 Bandit
            sigpic
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

If the bike is on the centerstand you will only lose maybe a half quart of oil. No need to drain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                If the bike is on the centerstand you will only lose maybe a half quart of oil. No need to drain it.
                That's what I did, the last time. Saved some time and oil!

Comment

Hi,

I just replaced my stator last Friday night with the bike on the center stand. There was just a couple of teaspoons of oil in the cover. The 850s have separate compartments for crankcase oil (10w40) and bevel gear oil (75w90). There's a "how to" guide on my site.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I put the bike on the centre stand and a 2x4 under the left leg. Lost almost no oil, less than 50cc.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
                      I put the bike on the centre stand and a 2x4 under the left leg. Lost almost no oil, less than 50cc.
                      Looked kinda like this, didn't it?

Works great.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Looked kinda like this, didn't it?

Works great.

Let me guess - you can only make left turns.

Comment

I only get a couple of drops from mine. Put a cup under it while cracking the bolts loose.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Prop that side up a little... the 2x4 idea is great, I use a phone book. The oil loss should be negligible. Do you need to drain the oil? Hardly...

Comment

So is the Stator actually bathed in oil in normal running? How can there be just a little oil in there and not all the oil?
                              Curious minds want to know.
                              I am on the verge of replacing my Stator as well.
                              Thanks all.

1978 GS1000C
                              1979 GS1000E
                              1980 GS1000E
                              2004 Roadstar

Comment

Working...
                              X