85 GS1150 restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 GS1150 restore

Just getting started on doing a restore on my 1150...
    Anyone interested in a text with pictures?

Is the Pope Catholic?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2009, 09:46 PM. Reason: misspelled Catholic

Comment

Good Deal...
      I'll try and start posting some picts tomorrow.
      Bike is down to the bare frame now...time to start cleaning parts and such.

Comment

Originally posted by hcritz View Post
        Good Deal...
        I'll try and start posting some picts tomorrow.
        Bike is down to the bare frame now...time to start cleaning parts and such.
        Got any before pics?

Cleaning? So the fun starts now?

Comment

pictures please

Comment

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Does a bear crap in the woods? Ray.

Comment

Affirmative to all the posts!
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Just outa curiosity....take a close look at the area of the frame above and around where the sidestand tab is mounted. My 1150 had a crack there that looked like a thin "string" of chain lube. I spoke with another 1150 owner while at a dragstrip a long time ago that found a crack in the same location.
                  Willie in TN
                  Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                  '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                  '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                  '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Hey Willie...
                    I found the same thing on mine when I was removing the sidestand.
                    Also my centerstand had all sorts of fatigue cracks in it.
                    The frame crack is just a hairline one right behind the doubler where the side stand attaches. Should be a simple matter of welding it back up.
                    I'll try to bridge the weld into the double...that should make it a lot stronger. Weld quality on these bikes is not the best I've ever seen! LOL
                    Got some picts here...
                    I'm going to try and post a few here in a bit.
                    Glad there are some folks interested here....us 1150 guys are kinda the red headed step children! lol

Comment

Picts as promised...
                      First on is at 5:00 Sunday evening...the "Before" pict.
                      How do you get the JPGS to a size that will fit here without loosing all the resolution????

Comment

Picts as promised...
                        First on is at 5:00 Sunday evening...the "Before" pict.
                        How do you get the JPGS to a size that will fit here without loosing all the resolution????
                        Use a site like Photobucket to store your pictures then post them from there. Instead of thumbnails to click on full size pics will be displayed.

Comment

Hey Willie...
                          I found the same thing on mine when I was removing the sidestand.
                          Also my centerstand had all sorts of fatigue cracks in it.
                          The frame crack is just a hairline one right behind the doubler where the side stand attaches. Should be a simple matter of welding it back up.
                          I'll try to bridge the weld into the double...that should make it a lot stronger. Weld quality on these bikes is not the best I've ever seen! LOL
                          Got some picts here...
                          I'm going to try and post a few here in a bit.
                          Glad there are some folks interested here....us 1150 guys are kinda the red headed step children! lol
                          I'm not sure about the frame thickness on the 1150, but the 1100 is very thin. You may want to reinforce the weld with a backing plate of some kind. Especially considering this appears to be a high stress point due to the failures on differnt bikes.

Comment

Working...
                          X