Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know when rings are worn (I don't want to replace them)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you know when rings are worn (I don't want to replace them)

Hi folks,

I've got the jugs off, and was going to put the top end back together and thought I should ask about the rings before proceeding. The rings look clean and bright, have good shape and elasticity, and had reasonable compression (120-130 iirc). The jugs have minor vertical scoring and I could hone them a touch except that I only have a brake cyl hone, and I don't really want to make more work breaking in an engine (you can see where I'm leaning).

Given the picture below, am I nuts to put this back together without a hone or new rings? Remember, I'm broke... only fix if broken.

Atchbo.

If you had good compression, probably no need to do it. However, I'm just psycho, no way I'd get that far into the engine and not put rings in unless it was a very low mileage bike.

Comment

Put the old rings back in, it will probably work fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

How many miles ? Did you measure the cylinder for wear ? If it has a lot of milage I would at least replace the rings

Comment

I don't think it's crazy, so long as you're willing to go back in and do it in 2-3 years. If you're planning to keep the bike that long.

Comment

Sound like a case of the " you might as well " while you are there just do it, it will give you peace of mind not having to do it again in a few years!

Comment

Well, I can still see a cross pattern from the last hone, so it couldnt have that many on it, but were the rings replaced when it was honed?
              Did you measure the gap with the rings installed, there is a service limit that you should go by.
              Did you note the orientation of the rings when the jugs came off? If not, then a light hone might be a good idea.
              I really would just get rings for it.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2009, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Hey I would say you should get new rings. you never know if something came loose or broke apart a little when you took them off. so my suggestion is get new ones.

How much is it for new rings? did you price that out yet?

Jake

Comment

That hone looks quite rough still. Compression numbers are good. You're broke. I would use the ones you have, just be careful not to break any while reinstalling.

Comment

Working...
                  X